Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

About musical taste?

36 replies to this topic

#31 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:36 AM

Oh! Jokes and humor in general is a whole different category for me.
But I still don’t like it when every other word is f%#& for no reason.
Bimini15

#32 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,920 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

I can tolerate some foul language, but if it feels unnecessary and just for shock value, it puts me off.

Same thing with comedians.  There's no need for cursing just for cursing.  If it has "exclamation point" value, I have no problem with it.

Rap ... I've heard a couple of songs, especially the humorous ones.

Lacville '79

Parents just don't understand

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#33 bellevue.chartreuse.trout

bellevue.chartreuse.trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

#34 newbie@this

newbie@this

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

Raised in the late 50's.  Listened to R & R while my father listened to big band and opera.  Then he went country and it was classic rock all the way for me.  First album purchased with my own money was "Days of Future Past" by the Moody Blues.  Still have it along with about 450 other pieces of vinyl.  I am also a huge fan of Jethro Tull.

#35 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,920 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

Ian Anderson ... phenomenal !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#36 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

I do check Lodge once in a while but can't see how I missed this thread. What a great read bringing back the years of music we've all lived with and different tastes have, sometimes changing through life, sometimes not. For me, instrumentals are a waste, classical music is fingernails on a blackboard, and rap actually came from the military and not the ghetto to be used as torture tactics. My music was formed in the 60's and my older sister was all country and I was Buddy Holly, Big Bopper and Richie Valenz and losing them together one of my great tragedies of youth. I followed music into the Elvis and Rock era and loved bands that you could understand the words too the song and they made some sense. I got into some of what people would call DIsco and Mamas and Pappas was a favorite, Blondie a true love of mine, yet could still find room for Joan Baez and Carly Simon and even Janis Joplin. The thing is, all those great songs and singers of the past kind of blend in for me and other then classical, rap, acid rock, and heavy metal I pretty much like a mix of everything in the background while I'm tying. 

Just closing, it's hard to recall favorite songs but I'd go with "Everyday", the flip side of Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly..."Werewolves of London" by the no longer with us Warren Zevon..."Brain Damaged" by Pink Floyd (many think it's "Dark side of the Moon" but that was the album), and Carly Simon, "You're so Vain"...and of course the greatest bar song ever written, "Piano Man" by Billy Joel.

#37 corney

corney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

Music has been a big part of my entire life. I have a vinyl collection of about 600 albums, 300 CDs and a couple hundred cassettes .

I like all kinds of music especially great musicians and vocalists.

I have played guitar for over 40 years.

Not a big fan over rap, hip hop or this new pickup truck, beer and chicks country music. I an appreciate some pop music but not all!

Reply to this topic