Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Mardi Gras

19 replies to this topic

#1 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

Anyone going to Mardi Gras in New Orleans this year?
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#2 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

Oh yeah
https://youtu.be/PNTQTL-QI0A
cb27

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,636 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

too far away

i went in 1980 when i lived in pascagula mississippi. that was enough

Someone stole my coffee cup. Now I have to go to the police station and look at mug shots.

I was about to tell a joke about time travelling, but you guy's didnt like it.

#4 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

Funny how so many people go nuts over it and it's really a Catholic thing...
http://traveltips.us...bama-21559.html
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#5 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:37 PM

Should be a good source of beads, sorta hard to reconcile some of the things that happen at Carnival with the Church, eh?

#6 Stippled Popper

Stippled Popper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

There was a recent news article about 93,000 pounds of Mardi Gras beads being removed from New Orleans storm drains.

http://www.nola.com/..._mardi_gra.html

#7 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:45 PM

Get wasted, but not TOO wasted!! ;)

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#8 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:54 PM

There's a shared sense of belonging that exists here that those who get it can't find anywhere else. It pulses through the music. It's a magical place.
cb27

#9 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,275 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:27 AM

Just another place with way too many people crammed into way too small an area.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#10 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:52 AM

Well, if anyone's in town you can catch me & my gal today on Frenchmen St... 2-6 shotgun's at spotted cat, 1-4 chance bushman at maison, 4-7 royal st winding boys at maison, 6-10 cottonmouth kings at DBA, then back to the cat at 10-2am for the jazz vipers, ....then dead and gone to heaven, and Fat Tuesday's still days away
cb27

#11 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:49 AM

Well, if anyone's in town you can catch me & my gal today on Frenchmen St... 2-6 shotgun's at spotted cat, 1-4 chance bushman at maison, 4-7 royal st winding boys at maison, 6-10 cottonmouth kings at DBA, then back to the cat at 10-2am for the jazz vipers, ....then dead and gone to heaven, and Fat Tuesday's still days away

I'm at the Monteleon doing security.Swing by and ask for me
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret

#12 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Thanks zip gonna have to be another time though, did Mardi gras (st Anne's) and then caught a bad flu
cb27

#13 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

Everyone I've talked to who has been there says it's a great time but you never quite get the piss, crap, and vomit smell completely clear of your olfactory receptors. Did you pick the flu at Mardi Gras? Would seem like a great opportunity for any airborne or contact diseases, whether bacterial or virus to get spread. For years I enjoyed the visual benefits that can be had for a simple string of beads but I enjoyed them at private motorcycle rallies where it was far less crowded but still good times and great music.

#14 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:55 PM

I think I got it at a coffee shop the next day
cb27

#15 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

Everyone I've talked to who has been there says it's a great time but you never quite get the piss, crap, and vomit smell completely clear of your olfactory receptors. Did you pick the flu at Mardi Gras? Would seem like a great opportunity for any airborne or contact diseases, whether bacterial or virus to get spread. For years I enjoyed the visual benefits that can be had for a simple string of beads but I enjoyed them at private motorcycle rallies where it was far less crowded but still good times and great music.

I do not even want to smell a beer right now!The only way that event can be described as is:The most heinous acts of hedonism I've ever seen!And I was just security in the hotel!Lol!
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret

Reply to this topic