Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Little work on the site

11 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

If you see thing moved / changed on the site over the next day or two don't be alarmed, I am doing a little work on the site to make it a bit more streamlined and easier to use / find things. Few things will be making a forum for my rods to showcase those so my rod posts aren't flooding the "Fly Fishing" forum all the time. Going to be moving a couple sections such as "timely tips" to the fly tying section as a pinned topic since that forum hasn't really had posts in years. Probably move or delete the FTF announcements section since it's been 10 yrs since there was a new announcement.

Nothing major but just some things to get the site back into a clean user friendly state since I now have the ability to do that again. Feel free to share any suggestion as well if there is something you would like to see done or added to the site. (not the fly data base though, that is a different software issue that I have no part of with that ;) )  

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,279 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

biggrin.png Looking forward to seeing changes.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

It'll be good to see a few things tweaked. The data base is a shame but from tiny acorns......

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#4 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Steve,

Being ignorant of what it takes to make such change Ia m reluctant to make waves. 

Applauding your cleanup start, I'd also propose the general idea of getting finer granularity  within some of the sites. For example, the warm water segment might include subsets for panfish. bass, and pike/musky flies.  I think that finer focus would tend to draw more interest and even active  participation.

Thanks for taking on this long needed work,  I don't know where you find the time.

Rocco

#5 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:33 PM

Less is more when it comes to categories. As Steve just said, multiple categories result in sections that have not been touched in years, but take space on the front page of the site.

If the software allows it, tags is a much better way to mark topics, together with limited general categories.

Steve, email me if I can help you with anything.
Bimini15

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:39 PM

Thanks Javier. I actually need to get back in touch with you soon about the revamp for my MCFR site. Swamped with over 35 rod orders at the moment but once I get them all knocked out in the next 4-5 weeks we need to re-visit the site redo.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#7 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:53 PM

Steve-Going to be nice to see some improvement around!Spring cleaning time!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#8 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

Just wish members place of origin would be under username or in profile....Thanks for your service SD!
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:11 PM

If you click on a members name there will be location right in the profile. It use to be under the name as well, but I think that one changed after the update a couple years ago. Still in profile though.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#10 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:54 AM

Wasn't seeing it. My bad have to go to full version then profile.
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#11 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,636 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:18 AM

instead of just moving "timely tip" how about unlocking the category so forum members can continue to post tying tips and tricks

nobody can start a new thread

http://www.flytyingf...hp?showforum=11

Someone stole my coffee cup. Now I have to go to the police station and look at mug shots.

I was about to tell a joke about time travelling, but you guy's didnt like it.

#12 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

That's weird I didn't even realize you couldn't post in timely tips anymore. I just looked in the admin panel and don't see why it is that way or how to fix it. Got an apt this morning but I'll tryin look into that later tonight.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Reply to this topic