Fly Tying
sniksoh

pill canisters???

my mom gave me a bunch of those orange pill canisters and i know i can use them for something but i dont now what??? anyone got any ideas?

I use them for storing Beads(glas,brass, tungstin) hackle tips left over from larger fly ties(that last inch or two of hackle that will make great wings for adams, gnats ...etc) Many uses for them, I will also use them as a drying station for fly just by hanging them on the open bottle.

You could store dubbing, beads, anything you can fit in them. Lable them so you can keep track. I use similar containers, but clear, to keep my most used dubbing handy.

Poke a small hole in the lid and pack fine steel wool in it. Clean your bodkin by poking it into the steel wool a couple of times.

They also make a pretty good match safe to keep in your vest.

I put them out for customers to put their flies in..being on all kinds of heart meds, I have a never ending supply..

I use them, and film containers for all the said above, plus they are handy for collecting insect samples.

Dustin.

...I use mine for chenille...just drill a small hole in the top, have the end of chenille poking out and it's ready to go...I also size the pill canisters to the size of chenille...now all I have to do is figure out a way of preventing the domino effect when one topples over, they all go over :lol: ...

...Paul...

Use them for your tinsel spools. I use film and pill cannisters by taking a hot needle point, poking a hole in the side of the container and then pull your tinsel or gold wire through the whole. This will make your set up cleaner from tinsel or gold wire that always seems to find a way of unraveling on the spool.

Pill box is great for hooks. I get the ones with four compartments. I put the brand and number in the side ' tirmco 3761" and put the hook size on the top. Works good..

drill a small hole, stuff em with dubbing and use as a dubbing dispenser

poke a small hole, stuff with steel wool and use as a bodkin cleaner, i have one made with a film canister, gets all the old head cement off the bodkin and shines it right up.

I just found this site last month and found some good tips here.

I use a lot of X-acto #11 blad3s and use a pill container as a holder for used blades. I cut a slot in the top and super glued it on.

No more worries about blades in the waste bin in you have to go looking in there for something.

Charlie

Get a small board or peice of moulding and epoxy or glue the pill bottles on to it. it will keep them from all falling over.

I use them a lot for separating out the hooks on which I've pinched barbs, and those that I've sharpened.

Bill