Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brooktrout308

E-Bay Bidding

wondering if anybody ordered materials on e-bay? over the last couple years I've been keeping track of prices on necks and saddles, not on the bidding but on the buy now, people go crazy on the bidding and pay way to much, I don't see any advantage, the prices are always as hi or higher than other places.

Personally I like to have the product in my hand to inspect it before I buy it, since I don't have a fly tying store close I usually wait till the fly shows are around, but over the last couple years the vendors selling fly tying materials have been fewer and fewer at the shows.

Maybe the answer is to go with all synthetics, you don't have to worry about length of feathers, barb count, what size the feathers will tie, stem size, barb stiffness.

I've always used all natural feathers, furs, and materials but honestly its getting harder and harder to stay with naturals especially when your living on SS.

I too share your desire to see and feel my materials when I am buying; I strive to shop and spend money as locally as possible (because I feel that all of the local stores deserve my business due to their convinenience) - there are some on this forum who can't see beyond saving a dollar and are actively doing their part to bury all of their local retail outlets. I also used to love the "show season" where I could find great stuff at terrific prices - this also seems to be going by the wayside. If you have the means, and no local shop, try to develop a relationship with one of the bigger shops who sell on-line or through the mail - they may be willing to cherry pick one or more of an item and let you decide what to keep and what to return.

Out here in Ca. the fly show has gotten so bad with no materials, I may not even go this year. To me the biggest concern I have with high grading my own natural materials is with dry fly necks and saddles. Far West fly shop is the largest Whiting on line seller. I have had very good luck with Blake Leathers, the owner. He and his dad are tyers, and Blake has shipped me what I was looking for. He has a good eye. For hair I heard the person who is the new owner of Whitetail Fly Tying supplies is a good outlet for deer and elk hair.

Having a place that will let you decide what to keep and what to return like flyty1 said above is a real good way to go.

Just trying to help, not trying to advertise.

Bob

I have bought a fair amount of stuff on eBay and I've gotten some really nice stuff at great prices. Back when eBay was relatively new and had more the atmosphere of an estate sale or a swap meet, that was somewhat easier to do than it is now. It's hard to find used stuff at all on there anymore unless you're specifically shopping collectibles. Now, to a large extent, it's just another retail store. That being said, you can still find some good buys on there if you put in a little time and dig for them. Stuff like dry fly hackle and deer hair I tend to stay away from, because I really like to get my hands on that stuff before I buy. I buy a lot of hooks, beads, dumbbell eyes, stuff like that. I like to narrow my search for whatever it is I'm looking for to "Buy It Now" only and Free Shipping only, and just see what pops up. More often than not I can find what I want for no more (and sometimes less) than it would cost from another online retailer, and get it shipped to me for free.

As far as my "local" shops, I'll repeat what I've said on here before. I don't feel like I owe them my money just because they're close to me. Being close is nice, of course, and it will get me in their door before I look online, but if their selection and/or their service is poor, I have no qualms about buying elsewhere. I like eBay for the free shipping, and I like Bearsden.com because they only charge actual shipping, not a flat fee. I work hard for my money and I don't have that much to spend on fishing. I look for value, wherever I can find it.

I absolutely agree with Mr. Anderson that if someone who is local doesn't provide the appropriate selection, customer service and reasonable prices, then as a free citizen, I will take my business elsewhere. Just like what has been done for generations I'll bust out the catalog book (mostly websites now) and order through the mail.

I have bought some things on Ebay with good results because I knew what I was getting. Like anywhere else online, I would not buy unbranded or natural items, unless you don't mind to take a chance.

I think of E-bay as a online tag sale with both new and used material, and have found some vintage stuff reasonable. The new material "buy it now" or any online sales are more popular now and not just someone getting rid of the stuff they didn't like. I also like to inspect necks and saddles before purchase and the shows are not what they used to be, I think our population (tiers) is shrinking ?. I am fortunate to have a few local shops that are well stocked with excellent service. Most shops are fair priced on equal items(price protecting from hackle distributors?) Also like to inspect hair quality big difference between skins, harvest times and dyes. I am not saying to buy only local but if you don't support shops we will only have online / catalog businesses. Like flies, I will support a guide or local tier and buy A few of their flies, some to keep as patterns, some as a "collection", but I like to fish my own whenever possible. It is a different world then when I started tying, online and local, fewer choices, some better, shipping is much, much faster, customer service and product quality is better online than most old catalog mail order houses.

I shop on Ebay for some stuff. This week, I bought brass beads in various sizes, free shipping. I've never bought any hackle from them, need to see it, but have hooks etc. I've never been disappointed.

A lot of people have responded with TLDR answers. So, I might be repeating something.

I've ordered several items, including a cape. I've been totally satisfied with everything I've received.

A lot of people have responded with TLDR answers. So, I might be repeating something.

I've ordered several items, including a cape. I've been totally satisfied with everything I've received.

Same here...

I buy 100% off EBay. I type in, fly tying materials lot. And never know what someone is selling. Hooks, Capes, hackle, deer, hair, rabbit zonker strips.

I like the fact that there are pictures of the actual item you are bidding on or buying on the auction site. Sometimes there is a ruler in the photos which is even better. I've had more success with hair and hackle there than when ordering over the net from some of the highly favored shops. When I want to go to the candy store I stop off at the Bear's Den.

I've done very well on ebay. I wouldn't recommend limiting your search to free shipping however. Many sellers have both low cost items and low cost shipping. Instead, find sellers with high ratings. I know several sellers that are better than any online fly shops that I have tried, and of course, some are not. I've gotten just about everything you can imagine. Antron dubbing boxes, beads, hooks etc...

E-Bay ? not for me, maybe years ago it was ok but I've been watching items on e-bay for a couple years now and 99% of any thing worth while, it seems there are about 4 to 6 ( just my guess ) people that either have more money than they know what to do with, or are dealers that out bid everybody else, for me e-bay is a look and laugh at page.

Not having any local shops now, I'm forced to buy by mail order. Though I do save up for when I go to the shows. My one tip for buying saddle hackles mail order is to specify the barb range in inches or millimetres, The size of hackle needed on a particular hook size is a matter of opinion. A stated size is a matter of fact. It means you get what you want, or can send it back.

Cheers,

C.