Fly Tying
Patriot

Rooster 100 saddle packs vs partial or full pelts?

I've been searching for some midge saddle hackle, but really see no way that I can use a full pelt. That said, I have come across several vendor's advertising 100 packs and also claim that they are Whiting's Gold grade hackles. Looking at Whiting's 'Olympic Grading' system chart, it appears that the Gold pelts contain the majority of 'midge' saddle hackle feathers.

My flies are nearly all in the #20-#26 hook size range, so I need hackle to closely match. I'm not going crazy trying to match hackle to hook size in nanometer's, but I would like the end result to be closely representative of the insect I am trying to match. I think 1/4-1/2 pelts would be a wiser purchase than the 100-packs, but without actually holding the hackle in my hand this is a tricky proposition for me.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I just came across a vendor selling 'Dry Fly Midge Saddles' who claims that "... 80% of the saddle providing 18, 20 and 22 size feathers. Perfect for small mayfly and midge dry fly patterns."

However, all of the saddles offered for sale are of the 'Silver' variety which is contrary to what Whiting has listed on their website.

Is this deceptive advertising? I am not sure.

Feather emporium (website) sells a bastardized whiting "mix & match" pack where you can select three hook sizes in 25 or 100 packs ($9 or $25) of any one color, down to size 32. For $30 you can get a 100 pack in three sizes with custom color mixes. I've never bought from FE though so couldn't vouch.

Feather emporium (website) sells a bastardized whiting "mix & match" pack where you can select three hook sizes in 25 or 100 packs ($9 or $25) of any one color, down to size 32. For $30 you can get a 100 pack in three sizes with custom color mixes. I've never bought from FE though so couldn't vouch.

I had them bookmarked, but like you, I have never purchased from them. I really need some brown midge hackle, so I am going to take the plunge and purchase a few of their 'Whiting Ultra Midge' hackle packs.

Wish me well.

I will report back on these midge saddles when they arrive.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I have 1/2 silver brown whiting midge saddle and a 1/4 silver Whiting midge saddle. Sizes to 24 no problem. You can tie a LOT of flies/feather too

I have 1/2 silver brown whiting midge saddle and a 1/4 silver Whiting midge saddle. Sizes to 24 no problem. You can tie a LOT of flies/feather too

Thanks for the info. Who was your vendor(s)?

I have bought the 100 packs from Feather Emporium and a few other places. The Whiting 100 packs have been exceptional quality. The really small feathers on capes or saddles are usually so short they can be hard to work with. The sized 100 packs have been very true to size and color and they are really long. A size 20 for instance can probably tie 5 or 6 flies easily. It's nice to wrap the first several having inches of feather to work with and not having to use a hackle plier that will then slip just as you're trying to adjust that last wrap. I have a lot of really good capes and saddles that give me feathers in the 14-18 range perfectly but for going smaller it's the 100 pack for me.

Yesterday I purchased (1) Cree saddle hackle size 20 and (2) Ultra Midge 100 Hackle packs size 20. After I placed my order I got an email from David - "Thanks for your order. What color hackle would you like?"

post-61757-0-52586300-1507384864_thumb.jpg

Huh? I'm not sure why he emailed me about this because I chose brown and dun for my 100 packs which are natural colors, not red or blue or whatever. Hopefully, I will hear back from him today with some clarification or that my order has shipped, which would be better IMO.

This has been a crappy week for orders. I received my order of Hard as Hull and one of the bottles had a loose cap, so you know how that looked. I have no idea why the USPS even delivered it because the whole box smelled to high heaven. Each package was a three pack and I'm very happy that each pack was in its own separate plastic back. Anyway, the vendor did not want it back and will replace it.

Gripe, gripe, I know.

Good news! I just spoke to David and he said it was his website that was the problem. He also said he would have my order out today. Great!

I hope you have good luck with F & E. Too bad you could not split some midge saddle patches with another tyer. That's the way to go but often we can be all on seperate pages at times. Earlier this year I bid on a Whiting Midge Golden Saddle and won ! at a greatly reduced price. If you'd like I can send a few of these along to you gratis. Three generation of future tyers won't use all of that saddle so I don't mind sending a few along to someone who could use them.

I hope you have good luck with F & E. Too bad you could not split some midge saddle patches with another tyer. That's the way to go but often we can be all on seperate pages at times. Earlier this year I bid on a Whiting Midge Golden Saddle and won ! at a greatly reduced price. If you'd like I can send a few of these along to you gratis. Three generation of future tyers won't use all of that saddle so I don't mind sending a few along to someone who could use them.

I did think about splitting a pelt, but since I was not sure of the quality, I went solo with the 100 packs.

Mogup, you are very kind to offer your saddles to me. While I appreciate your generosity, I would rather pay you for them and send along a Pre-paid mailer - if they still make those anymore, to send them in. You can PM me, if you like and we can proceed from there.

Thanks again.

Patriot free or no deal. Just pass something on to someone else up the road. I 'll only send you five or six which will be good for 50 or 60 flies. Msg me ur address and I'll send then in a regular envelope. It maybe a week or so since I now have a broken foot and make it to the PO about once a week. Let me know. No sweat.