Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Whitner

Recent Redfish Ties

A couple recent ties. I used arctic goat for the tail. I love how soft and supple this stuff is. Beats craft fur but just costs more $$. Enjoy.

4AFDE578-C362-4C7D-914B-D60479798B1F-165

5623266F-77E5-468C-A04A-C75D64D9B801-165

Same here. Like the flies but haven't seen arctic goat before. Where did you source that from? It looks stiffer than arctic runner(pony hair) and straighter than fox.

I got it from Orlando Outfitters. It's actually really soft. As limp as craft fur with better action and more silky. It's pretty sweet stuff.

Awesome flies. I agree with the Dave, the deer hair is top notch. I love goat myself but haven't tried arctic yet. I love cashmere and regular goat. Cashmere is finer and thiner than regular goat but both are awesome. Do you know how arctic compares to other types of goat? I will definitely have to give a try.

By the way, Barlow's sells the stuff, pretty reasonable price too. (link)

Great looking flies, but I've gotta ask: what the hell is an arctic goat? I wonder if Santa Claus is aware of this development. Just think of the time he could save if he didn't have to harness up those ill-tempered reindeer.

post-281-0-09213300-1392645871_thumb.jpg

I just bought a bunch of the icelandic sheep. It is like craft fur but BETTER. Less underfur, holds its shape better, and can be longer.

Yeah, that stuff's pretty amazing. A little goes a long way - in the water, it "blows up" and looks huge. Absolutely nothing has better action. The only caveat is that it occasionally will tangle a little, but that's easily remedied with a pocket comb. And best of all, you can wear it when you go out to bark at the moon on Saturday nights.

post-281-0-66141400-1392738087_thumb.jpg

That is one dapper look you got going on there PJ. Have you been hanging out with Kirk in the French Quarter?

Hey y'all, fairly new to the forum. Been a member for a while but life kept getting in the way of keeping up at the vise. Hopefully that's changing now. We'll see.

I recently started working at the Orvis store in Baton Rouge, hired primarily so they would have another person who knows more about fly fishing than selling clothes. We just started getting stocked with Arctic goat hair, in a variety of colors. The manager (exceptional angler and excellent tyer) and I were looking it over this morning. Can't wait to get some on some hooks. If you want some and have an Orvis shop near you, you might try there.

Lol, a Yeti offspring.

Close, but no cigar. Yeti was actually a distant cousin - unfortunately, he took his own life by leaping from a Nepalese cliff into the valley below. He screamed out his final words as he tumbled through the crisp mountain air: "I CAN'T TAKE ANY MORE OF THIS ABOMINABLE SNOW, MAN!"

I almost forgot: welcome to the forum, Kevin.

Welcome to the asylum Kevin. Not a lot of sanity here, but they do know a lot about fly tying, fishing, and especially women's fashion.