Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

11ft Micro-spey

Interesting coated/non-coated grip. Love the coated part.

Also interesting is the translucent look of the wraps ... or is that just a trick of the photography?

That's actually the case with all the rods if you look close. Nylon thread has a bit of a inherent translucent look to it unless you use color preserver (which I don't care for so never use unless its on something like a twist thread). You guys just haven't noticed it till now I guess wink.png It's not what I would call true translucent, but it is a very slight effect because its nylon.

I feel like the foot stands out a bit more than normal on the one, maybe just because it's green on green, so the difference is more dramatic, it looks nice Steve.

Having another peak at work. Looks even better on the bigger monitor. Will be worth any customs charges. You really nailed the handle I was hoping for. Good mix of dark and light.

Great excuse to treat myself to some of the OPST heads I reckon too.

Cork looks even better in person. The flash washes the smokey burl cork in the center out quite a bit in the pics and doesn't really show the nice darker contrast in it.

I've got a new OPST toy to try out this spring myself. Last year I picked up a 25lb test Lazer line to try. I really loved the way it shoots but I just didn't like the thin feel of it in my hand when stripping in streamers. So this winter I bought a 40lb Lazer line. Can't wait to try that one and see how that feels.

I went wit OPST last year too. I agree get at least 30lb lazer line, the 20 is weird feeling in the hand at least to me.

Additionally in my hands the heads are great single handed rod lines, I can shoot 60-70 ft in one whack with my old 8ft 6/7 St Croix. It works great with back cover or otherwise no back cast room. Just do a single spey and chuck it out. It didn't work as well on my switch rod I built but I don't think the line was matched right. And the switch rod came out beautiful but it's the wrong weight for what I want to do with it. I didn't realize building a 4/5 switch rod equates to about a 7 or 8 wt single handed rod. So I tried the line I bought for that on the St Croix and it casted quite well.

Nice rod there by the way !

Yeah the 25lb OPST was just too thin for my taste for sure. It wasn't too bad just stripping streamers, but with a fish on it really just sucked stripping it against a fish.

Steve,

Richmc sent me an E-mail ...

"Steve posted his micro spey rod how can an 11ft rod be called micro? and is that a buffalo nickle in the butt end? love the color rich"

Haha 'they' class rods from 10 to just shy of 12 that are designed to spey cast 'spey rods'. So they are micro spey as they cast a much lower grain than a traditional spey rod.

Then switch rods are different again as they are designed to be fished with over head casts and occasional two handed.

Steve,

Richmc sent me an E-mail ...

"Steve posted his micro spey rod how can an 11ft rod be called micro? and is that a buffalo nickle in the butt end? love the color rich"

I take it Rich has never held a 15ft spey? :) lol. Is he still not able to log in??? get his log in info from him and send to me again.

He says it's got to do with his E-mail. If I look for him in the "Members" list, he doesn't show up, so his info has been cleared ... but it still recognizes his E-mail.

He's tried several things, including a new name ... but his E-mail is the same and the system won't let him get back in.