Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dadofmolly

latest ebay buy

Picked up a sage 8', fenwick 8 1/2' and scientific angler system 1; two rod bags, reel pouch, metal case that will hold both rods; $100. Both rods were purchased blanks as near as I can tell as they have the same orange windings. The sage blank was built into an 8' spinning rod and the fenwick is a fly rod. Don't really have a need for another spin rod, nor an 8' at that so I guess my next project will be to rebuild the sage into a fly rod. Don't really need another two fly rods but what the heck. The fenwick is a 6wt and guessing the sage is the same, tried casting it with a 7 wt but kind of hard to really judge using a fly reel on a spinning rod seat. The reel had a scientific angler DT 7 wt F loaded but it seems a little too much for the fenwick.

For some reason I can't seem to add the pics to the posts.

post-34554-0-65572400-1567553877_thumb.jpg

post-34554-0-18109500-1567553932_thumb.jpg

I don't know whether to say, "congrats" or not. It's a good deal ... but then you say you don't need more rods.

In my world, if you don't need it and buy it anyway ... you're just wasting money.

At one time Sage made spinning and casting rods. The Sage might actually be built on a spinning rod blank. Are there any markings on it?

Has "Graphite B680GFL". Was the only markings I could find. I would call the color "Chocolate", but maybe dark brown is a better color description.

Have to somewhat disagree with you mikechell. Agree that I can only use 1 rod at a time, but just because I don't need it doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Might even become a favorite. Can always have multiple rods set up with different fly configurations set to go, so changing flies isn't as time consuming as putting a new fly on every time I want to change.

Oh, I wasn't saying a person shouldn't have several rods. I take 6 or so on the boat with me. Each one is rigged with a different presentation.

I've also got a couple of extra rods that are specialized and only taken out when I am doing particular types of fishing.

I have a couple of extras, so that breaking one won't put "down" me until I can buy a replacement. I feel each one is necessary. I don't have a room full of rods sitting around that might never be used.

I was just responding to your comments, "Don't really have a need for another spin rod, nor an 8' at that so I guess my next project will be to rebuild the sage into a fly rod. Don't really need another two fly rods ..."

I don't know whether to say, "congrats" or not. It's a good deal ... but then you say you don't need more rods.

In my world, if you don't need it and buy it anyway ... you're just wasting money.

In my world, it's called collecting.

Joe

Has "Graphite B680GFL". Was the only markings I could find. I would call the color "Chocolate", but maybe dark brown is a better color description.

I think that is one of the early Sage fly rod blanks. "B" = blank, 680 = 6wt. 8'. GFL was on the early models before the Graphite II, RP, RPL, LL, SP, XP ...

Understood. I don't have the "collecting" gene.

I guess I do. I have collected various things ever since I was a kid. My one mainstay in collecting has been my collection of fly rods and fly reels, and even fly lines. I have been collecting (and selling a few along the way) fly fishing stuff for many years. At one time I collected rifles and shotguns, but completely lost interest in them a few years ago and sold most of them. I was heavy into watch collecting for a while but lost interest and kept only a few. I also have a nice though modest collection of pocket knives. I know a few guys around my age and older who collect fly fishing stuff (mostly bamboo rods) and never even fish. My feeling is that if collecting brings you joy and you don't spend the grocery or rent money on your collectables, then go for it.

Joe

I think that is one of the early Sage fly rod blanks. "B" = blank, 680 = 6wt. 8'. GFL was on the early models before the Graphite II, RP, RPL, LL, SP, XP ...

This would agree with the guy selling a nos blank a couple months ago, said he used to build them- blank went for $135 the second time he listed it. So that makes your deal pretty nice. Fenwick used to mark blanks as FL-xxx rather than the factory built FF-xxx, don't know if that continued under all the various owners or not.

tjm "This would agree with the guy selling a nos blank a couple months ago, said he used to build them- blank went for $135 the second time he listed it. So that makes your deal pretty nice. Fenwick used to mark blanks as FL-xxx rather than the factory built FF-xxx, don't know if that continued under all the various owners or not."

There were no marks of FL-XXX or any other marks that I could find on the rod other than 8'6" 6wt; which I'm pretty sure that the rod builder added this to the rod as it is the same color as the name put on the rod. My guess, based on the guide windings style and thread color is that the blanks were built around the same time.