Fly Tying
kenmorr

UV Resin on Quill Dry Flies?

I've seen and heard of (on the Net) tiers putting a thin coat of UV resin on Quill Body Dries to make them more durable. My question is, will this effect how they float? My thinking is that adding weight/ extra material to a sparsely tied dry would make it more likely to sink.

Anyone have some personal experience with this?

i personally do not think the micro amount of uv resin applied to the quill will affect the floatability of a dry fly.

how would you measure the weight of resin you swiped on the quill?

what about a swipe of crazy glue on the thread wrappings prior to wapping the quill? would that also affect the floatability?

i think its a non factor

As a confidence booster tie two flies one with uv and one without.

Apply floatant as you normally would.

Put them both in a pan of water.

Observe them at rest. Now agitate the water with a spoon and see if their is a difference.

The weight should not effect it, but smoothing out the body could effect the surface tension. Some of the floating of some dry flies has to do with the body materials as well as the hackle. So just make sure and tie with enough hackle to keep it afloat, and it should be fine. Also choose a good tail material as well, the material on the tail will determine how it floats on the surface. Rear end down not. I could completely be wrong on all this. Haha! So just take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

I sometimes put a light coat on the quill and then rubbed most of it off with the back of my nail prior to hitting it with the light because I think a heavy glossy finish detracts from the nice segmentation of the peacock quill.

I once coated the nail knot where my floating line attaches to the leader with UV resin to facilitate movement through the guides, maybe it was my imagination but I swear it caused the knot (and line tip) to sink. Not sure if it would affect a fly the same way, as I coated it pretty heavily with a few coats to smooth that knot out.