Fly Tying
binfordw

"Daves Flex cement" thinner?

I need to know what I can use to thin my flex cement with. When I bought it the guy told me I needed a special thinner- at least I think, I wasnt listening.. lol.

Thanks

Ben W

Ding Ding Ding that's right! Dave's Flexament is shoe goo thinned with tolulene. By the Way it is not only a solvent but it is very bad for you. Vapors can kill you, it can be absorbed through your skin, and it is highly flammable.

::Reads replies:: ::Gasps and slowly begins to asphyxiate::

Dunno what really is in the Flexament. Tolulene does concern me, but if it is in Flexament, I haven't seen any ill effects thus far. However, I do keep it capped with a bodkin through the plastic inside top and only take that off when coating threads or materials. When I'm done, the bodkin is removed and the regular top put back on. I get allergic breathing and skin reactions to a lot of glues and thus far haven't had a problem with Flexament.

Hunters Angling sells both Flexament and Thinner at reasonable prices and the 4:1 ratio of Thinner to Flexament is about right.

Is it allowed in Canada, does anyone know?

Yes, and it's a very popular product. I use it all the time however I'm not sure about any health issues that the product may cause.