Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What are you working on?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#31 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:33 PM

Mark you asked some pictures of the nymphs I've been tying. Nothing fancy.  All are tied on an Orvis Big Eye Dry Fly hook, size 12.  Thorax is peacock herl wrapped around the ribbing wire,  soft hackle is starling.

This one has a parrot feather body.  Tail is pheasant

attachicon.gif PC050329.JPG

This one is tied from a white tip turkey tail feather dyed fluorescent green.  Tail is pheasant

attachicon.gif PC050331.JPG

These two I named the Austin Chicken Nymph since I tied them from the wing feathers of a couple of chickens my niece and her husband raised for eggs and eventually dinner.  Body and tail are chicken. I tried to find the breed and discovered they're called Easter Eggers because they lay various shades of green, blue, pink eggs

attachicon.gif PC050332.JPG

The next four are PT nymphs in no particular order, Natural, dyed brown, olive and black.

attachicon.gif PC050336.JPG

attachicon.gif PC050334.JPG

The last two are sort of stone fly nymphs to imitate the yellow and lime sallies that are in the streams around where they'll be living in Vermont.  Yellow is goose biots, the green is turkey dyed fluorescent green.

attachicon.gif PC050338.JPG

I know the Austin Chicken nymphs work.  Greg's(my niece's husband) father caught a couple of nice New Zealand brown trout.  I tied 3 of each in size 12, and plan to do the same in size 14.  Then I'll start on the mini-mop flies.

Those are all very handsome, thank you very much.

#32 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:33 PM

Most of what I've been tying lately has been hair jigs. Primarily combinations of rabbit strips & fox. A few tied with bucktail. Also have been tying simple bucktail teaser flies. smile.png

These are nice, what are you fishing with them?

#33 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:36 PM

I'm working on my third million dollars because the first two didn't work out so well. Not much going on at the bench since I also only assemble flies on an as needed basis and I hardley lost a thing last year due to all the freaking rain, I.e. Flooding, and canceled trips. I have ordered a bunch of tied belly hair so I can try packing deer hair with my new poopdeck packer.

I'm glad we don't get all the bad weather up here that you guys get down there.smile.png

#34 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:39 PM

philly yes I do blend in flash. Norm my whole house is like this lots of tying stuff. lol. I have wooly mammoth hair in dubbing 

I do believe some of the members, here, have Archaeopteryx feathers in their collections ... that they collected themselves.

Maybe Sandflix would want to trade some of his mammoth hair for some of those feathers.

#35 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:40 PM

I've finished my Adams and am working on hoppers now. I will show pitchers when I get the camera charged up.

#36 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:48 PM

Mark, the jigs were tied for a fellow in IN who will be targeting Smallmouth bass with them.

The teasers are going in my boxes for now, but are used primarily for Striped Bass in combination with bucktail jigs, spoons, or other lures. Used with fly tackle, anything that will grab a streamer fly that size. I live next to Lake Marion in SC, so will likely use them for LM bass or the Striped Bass in the lake. smile.png

#37 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:35 PM

Zonker hair jigs are pretty much a cold water staple on the Delaware river for smallmouth bass.

Normally our weather is not so wet. In fact I can't think of a worse year for rain in the 30 or so years I've been fishing the river. Can't even think of a close second. It was so bad the spring highs were actually some of the lowest water we had all year.

#38 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:16 AM

Many folks use hair jigs of all types in the colder months for Smallmouth around the country. I've used them year round when I lived in MD. 

I still have family & friends back in MD, and I know they got a lot of rain this year. Much more than a normal year. 

I think much of the NE got a lot of rain this year. 

#39 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:11 AM

Well Mark I'm a professional musician on weekends (2nd job) and have been saving my band pay to order a new HMH TRV vise. Not easy with a big family and Christmas this month but it's looking like the Vise will be mine just before the holidays. 

And you thought golf was frustrating-

#40 notenuftoys

notenuftoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:20 AM

my new poopdeck packer.

Um, that doesn't sound right.  ;-)

I'm not working on much right now.  Tying desk looks like a tornado went through it, so that should get cleaned up before anything else happens.  

By the way, anyone heard of or used Moonlit hooks?  I stumbled across them this morning and thinking of ordering a few packs to try out.  

#41 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:55 AM

my new poopdeck packer.

Um, that doesn't sound right.  ;-)

I'm not working on much right now.  Tying desk looks like a tornado went through it, so that should get cleaned up before anything else happens.  

By the way, anyone heard of or used Moonlit hooks?  I stumbled across them this morning and thinking of ordering a few packs to try out.  

sounds cheesy to me---lol

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#42 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

Mark, the jigs were tied for a fellow in IN who will be targeting Smallmouth bass with them.

The teasers are going in my boxes for now, but are used primarily for Striped Bass in combination with bucktail jigs, spoons, or other lures. Used with fly tackle, anything that will grab a streamer fly that size. I live next to Lake Marion in SC, so will likely use them for LM bass or the Striped Bass in the lake. smile.png

I was thinking bass, or pike on the jigs. Up here, the streamers are classic sockeye and coho flies. Very nice.

#43 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:53 PM

Zonker hair jigs are pretty much a cold water staple on the Delaware river for smallmouth bass.

Normally our weather is not so wet. In fact I can't think of a worse year for rain in the 30 or so years I've been fishing the river. Can't even think of a close second. It was so bad the spring highs were actually some of the lowest water we had all year.

That's bad, and you got all those kids on your lawn. Geash, you might need some time in the fly tying room to relax.

#44 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:55 PM

Many folks use hair jigs of all types in the colder months for Smallmouth around the country. I've used them year round when I lived in MD. 

I still have family & friends back in MD, and I know they got a lot of rain this year. Much more than a normal year. 

I think much of the NE got a lot of rain this year. 

We don't have bass up here and that's one of the things I miss after moving here, but I really miss the sunfish fishing. You know the big hand size ones, and the crappie.

#45 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:58 PM

Well Mark I'm a professional musician on weekends (2nd job) and have been saving my band pay to order a new HMH TRV vise. Not easy with a big family and Christmas this month but it's looking like the Vise will be mine just before the holidays. 

Very cool. I'm afraid those kinds of vises are above my skill level. I gotta stick to the simple stuff. Looks like you'll have a Merry Christmas.