Fly Tying
Lucian.Vasies

Would you use it? - a CDC Dun fly

Something popular here in Europe but seems not very popular in US. I wonder why? I have an american friend who took a look at the fly bellow, he was susceptible and not very confident to use it. But after a few casts and a few fish he changed his mind...

Picric-PT-Dun.jpg
body-detail.jpg
picric-dun-flies.jpg
Lucian

He'll yes I would use it. It looks to me it sits low in the film. Nice, really nice emerger.

But then again I'm no authority. But I would most definitely give it a try.

Yes sir, slow tailwater pmd and bwo hatches. And they are good after getting slimed, you just have to scrub them a bit in the water and then dry them off with an amadou (or even a fake amadou) patch. The CDC holds up to the scrubbing nicely.

before it gets all matted up by fish slime - yes

afterwards -no

My opinion exactly. I have a love/hate relationship with CDC. I'll use flies tied with it on days where I'd count even one or two fish a success -- they certainly work on fussy fish -- but not if I'm expecting a higher count (which is most of the time.)

Fish slime? never had a problem, Just rub a little bit the fly with your fingers in running currents . The slime will be washed away, one cast for drying and second cast to the next fish... I never fish with rooster hackle flies for more than 10 years.

I would switch the CDC wing to real snowshoe using both the underfur and guard hairs so the size clump would be about the same. It would be more durable, keep that same profile, and float a little better too.

Regards,

Mark

The snowshoe really does float great but doesn't have the movement the CDC has.

I too have no problems with CDC and fish slime. I do what Lucian does by a rinse and rub between the fingers to wash away the slime. I press the fly on something absorbent to get most of the water out and then apply one of the powder type dry fly floatants.

The past two years I have been using hydrophobic fumed silica instead of the commercial floatants with absolutely great results. I purchased a two quart bag of the stuff for $17.00 from EPOXYUSA and I will never buy another little bottle of the stuff for six bucks until I need another bottle and brush.

I too have no problems with CDC and fish slime. I do what Lucian does by a rinse and rub between the fingers to wash away the slime. I press the fly on something absorbent to get most of the water out and then apply one of the powder type dry fly floatants.

Doing so takes time, and on a damp day doesn't work very well. Yeah, I've had CDC flies that I could keep afloat for 8 or 10 fish, but I've spent most of my fishing time preening them. I'd rather not.