Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

Dropper Flies: Part 1

I have made a brief, two-part series, involving dropper flies above and below the point. This is a general overview (in Part 1, I discuss flies lower in the water column, hence below the point), but I'd love to hear others' thoughts regarding ways to attach flies below a point fly, differing from those discussed in the video.

Thanks,

TC

Another great Cammista video!

That's exactly how I rig, but I've never used a streamer for my heavy fly. I know I should fish more streamers and dead drift in addition to strip. Since this fits right into the way that I nymph, I'll definitely try it very soon.

I've never been real comfortable with the point/dropper terminology. Whenever I read point fly or on point or dropper, I always had to figure out which fly was leading or trailing. I've seen point used for first fly and for last.

I like your usage - droppers are the smaller more imitative flies and the point fly is the heavier attractor. You use the terms to describe roles and not where the flies occur down the leader.

I look forward to Part 2.

Glad we're on the same page, Bruce, and that everything made sense. Thanks for taking a moment to reinforce some of the sections in the video, and definitely get some streamers on the rig!

Tim

That's pretty much how I do my droppers as well, though I fish much more with just asingle fly. Generally where I fish you are allowed two flies, not two droppers but two total. Also generally I find the dropper taking the fish, there are exceptions though. I've never fished a streamer with dropper, kind of a novel idea !

I know this video was not about this but I also fish a good sized dry with a smaller nymph or emerger. Again, generally speaking, the dropper gets the fish but there have been exceptions.

I'd be interested in side by side tandems and rigging for that, that works and doesn't tangle !

Great video. I really don't know much about freshwater trout fishing so I find your videos really informative. Please keep them coming