Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Zonker

Yellow Zonker, gold body, with a orange hackle throat & black permanent marker bars down the sides makes a great Yellow Perch pattern!

Oldies but goodies! wink.gif

What's up, OSD?!

Fished just yesterday and a mylar zonker with an orange throt was the only thing that produced any smallies.....easy ties, and great producers!!! While we are discussing zonkers, what is/are your favs as for a zonker material? I really like Mico Pine and full rabbit zonkers, but have made zonkers from everything...including a nice free flowing zonker from a roadkill housecat...as bad as i hate to admit that I butchered "Fluffy"!!! tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

I like the dyed cross cut rabbit as long as its cut evenly.

I look the zonker strips over before chousing where to tie from, I gota have the hair standing up on the back of the fly (not laying down)

I like th gold mylar tubbing best but I do use silver too.

most of the time I use a red hackle

post-23-1069714968.jpg

If tyed correctly it will hold its own. Sometimes I put a small rattle in the tubing which makes the fly more effective in stained water.

depending on where i'm fishing, i have been known to put a peice of sticky backed lead under the mylar tubing (cut to shape of course) if I need to get it down deep in a hurry. Best smallie color for me this year in the river I fish mostly was white rabbit strip with silver mylar, and a red throat.

steve

if you haven't tried tying with mylar before, I think you will really like it, Billy...great stuff for baitfish imitations! Here's a little tip for ya....befroe using the mylar, take a little enamel and a toothpick and apply the enamel to just one side of the mylar....just a very, very thin application....this will keep it from unraveling while you work....

picked up some nice pelts from a furrier in the mountains yesterday.....cut nice thick ( wide) zonkers fron a bobcat pelt.....after I combed out as much under fur as I could, it produced a very nice zonker, albiet a bit large....gonna try it for BIG bass petterns...the rabbitts I bought were longhaired and will make nice "fluttering" zonkers.....another pelt was very short...nice Mico zonker material.....that's what I like about the winter....gathering up material for the spring!!!

I use Squirrel Zonker for my little wooly craw with hackle instead of ice chenile. Those smaller southern creeks have a million micro craw hatch. Rarely see a craw bigger than 3 inches during that time.

Billy