Fly Tying

Sculpin streamers are some of the more common and effective streamer patterns for trout. This one utilizes the fish skull heads to make a simple and yet effective streamer pattern for trout. Sculpin typically like to hang out near the bottom. This fly is heavy enough to stay deep even in faster moving water. Most flies though when fished deep like this tend to get hung up on rocks or other debris on the bottom, but this fly swims hook point up, and will help keep from getting snagged as often.

Being so easy to tie, you can tie quite a few for your box each time you go out fishing, so you won't be without a good sculpin pattern. I fancied it up a little with a hook wrap and dubbing, but that is not necessary. You can tie it with just the hook, fish skull head, and rabbit zonkers and still have a very effective fly.

http://youtu.be/-1yDIcxwDVg
Hook: Gamakatsu B10S in size 1/0
Thread: UTC Ultra Thread 140 in dark olive
Tail: Barred Olive Rabbit Zonker Strip
Hook Wrap: Tinsel Twist
Belly: Yellow Kraken Dubbing
Collar: Barred Olive Rabbit Zonker Strip
Head: Fish Skull Sculpin Head

Haha, yes they don't like my underwater footage at all. They think it's a big fish in there trying to eat them. Haha

Looks easy. I hope it's effective in PA.

Do you have sculpins in PA? If so, it will work.

Missed this post, McFly. Yep, we do have sculpins in PA.

Great video Mc Fly! I'm taking a trip to the White river in Arkansas and will have a few tied up in hopes a big brown hits one.

Thanks! Yeah hopefully you get a good one! Good luck and tell me how it does for you.

There are sculpins in Maine, they are not brightly colored but more of motor oil olive/ brown. I had some zonker strips pretty close in color but the fish prefer purple. Go Figure !

There are sculpins in Maine, they are not brightly colored but more of motor oil olive/ brown. I had some zonker strips pretty close in color but the fish prefer purple. Go Figure !

It's funny what fish will hit. When I would conventional bass fish I always laughed at the crank bait colors. Like what baitfish looks like a clown coloration? Or fire tiger...? Lol

Mc Fly,

Are you using standard rabbit zonker strips or are they the magnum strips? Thanks

I will have to go back and check but I think standard...