Fly Tying
feathers5

Alpaca Hair

I use alpaca and I like it smile.png IMHO this hair is perfect for gammarus nymphs ( snow bug too ).

I mix it with synthetic dubbing and I obtain a nice material for wet flies and nymphs ( thorax area for example )

I do not know how is if you want to make streamer wings but for wet flies, bugs and nymphs the material is really ok.

cheers,

Lucian

Thanks. It seems as though it's very soft and will make great dubbing. I have a bunch of different colors I bought at an outdoor market in rural NY State. I'm going to mix some up.

Thanks Again,

Bruce

I have 2 llamas. I have 2 trash bags full of their hair/wool. There are at least 3 different textures/types of wool off llamas. A very fine and soft fur from the undercoat. A medium coarse kinda stringy fur, and a long soft, hairlike fur that could be used for streamer wings. We used to sell the bags of wool to the lady we bought the llamas from but haven't in several years. I don't use it much on flies anymore but I probably should experiment. It's easy enough to substitute it for hares ear.