Fly Tying
Bimini15

Michael's find.

I had this gift certicate for Michael's, so I stopped to get some superglue and found this...

post-52874-0-99351400-1505954157_thumb.jpg

Michael's is telling people there is such a thing as sequin pins, but they really are selling them shrimp eyes! :D

"Sequin Pins" is a term of endearment among crabs and shrimp. You know, during the date, while they're dining on the latest dead carcass, the male leans over to the females and says, "Your eyes are like sequins on pins, Baby!" Later on, when the "honeymoon" is close to being over, he just calls her, "Hey, sequin pins! Get me a beer!"

How big/long would you say those are? Trying to judge if they'd size up ok for a #4-6 3XL streamer hook for crayfish patterns. Thanks for sharing your find!

Will measure to be sure and let you know, but first impression was that they would work for you.

Even if they are on the short side for bigger salwater hooks, crimping them and tying in just the crimped end, plus superglue, should be enough to really hold them down.

Will let you know.

FWIW. These are 1/2" between beads for $3 in wedding section at HobbyLobby

IMG_1697.jpg

After painting a few.

These made from fabric didn't work very well kept getting bent outa shape. Don't think ridged steel pin types would be good at all. Just me.

IMG_1699.jpg

Not tryin to hijack this but for me shrimp, crabs, etc it's worth the trouble to melt mono and glue glass beads for the sparkle and transparency. The sequin pins kinda have this too!

IMG_1700.jpg

The middle shrimp has the fabric eyes painted black

Bimini, just a thought... can they be heated?

If so powder painting them should work.

First heat the eye and quickly dip it in black powder paint. Next dunk them in a cup of water which is all that's needed for a stellar paint job.

They are called sequin pins, but they are just a short piece of mono with a rounded melted end, like the "real" shrimp eyes. They also had some with ends in assorted colors. I took the clear ones to paint them all in black.

As far as powder paint, not sure. The mono would melt pretty quickly...

I am just going to color them with permanent markers first. Maybe, if I am not happy, maybe dunk them in black nail polish.

Haz,

The measurement comes up to 3/4 of an inch consistently.

I just tied a couple on a size 4 hook for you to see. Notice that I tied them at the very end, with ends flattened with pliers. The color comes from permanent markers.

Judge for yourself.

post-52874-0-58606800-1506026159_thumb.jpg

Look good!

Gonna have to do my own research, as Michael's shares Target's rule of a minimum of one good looking girl per store at all times.. If you're ever in town, check out the Target in Clearwater. The minimum there is one good looking girl per aisle.

Good to see that you are back and in good spirits!

Here is what came after the eyes...

post-52874-0-05507300-1506029729_thumb.jpg

... And I just noticed the crappy paint job on them.

Good looking shrimp! Thanks for following up. I'm going to try to get to Micheal's this weekend and check them out in person.