Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hook Organizing

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 gillage

gillage

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:32 PM

Flytire

Do you have a link please?

Thanks

#17 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:41 PM

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B002DPINS6

hook-box.jpg

i bought mine at walmart

google "bead storage containers" for a wide array of options

Some of the worst car accidents happen on the showroom floor

#18 gillage

gillage

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

Got it thanks

#19 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:00 PM

Over the years, I have come to favor small plano boxes - each with hooks by application. I can pull out one of these small boxes when I am churning out a dozen or two of a few sizes of the same type of fly...this works for me but your personal milage may vary!

#20 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

I have tried a few different ways though the years, and settled on these Pill Boxes as my storage system.  Weekly boxes will hold 7 different hooks, and double sided boxes will hold 14 different hooks.  For my trout fly assortments, I save them by size and 7 different types of hooks.  For streamer and other large hooks, I keep the different shank lengths together in one box with 7 different sizes in each box.  These are big enough for size 2 4XL hooks.  The boxes I use will fit in my small plastic drawer system two layers deep.

Top row:

IMG_0011.JPG

Lower row:

IMG_0012.JPG

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#21 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:10 PM

Wow, you guys have a lot of hooks! I'm not sure why original packaging doesn't get the love it deserves but I'm thinking it's because it needs a picture. 32 different types of hooks and 21 packs of beads and lead eyes all in a 3" by 11" box. This pretty much satisfies all my tying needs. I would say at most the hook/bead bins are only at about 70% capacity. I made the box 22" in length but didn't need it all for hooks and such. In the other 11" I hold glue, tools, and other doodads but if my hook needs ever increase by 130% I'll be ready.

hook.jpg

#22 FishnPhil

FishnPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:22 PM

Flytire, looks awesome. What about 3xl #4 streamer hooks or those 1/0 salmon fly hooks? I'm guessing they don't fit into bead containers.

#23 Bill_729

Bill_729

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:02 AM

I took inspiration from my dad's (over?) use of pegboard hooks that he shaped himself (there is a simple little tool to help shape them). When I was 16 or so I made a little "tree" with a couple of  aluminum rods pushed through to hold all of those materials (floss, chenille, etc.) that you buy on "cards with holes in them".   If my hooks were in little bags, I think I would make a tree with 1 rod for drys, 1 for streamer hooks, etc. If I had a lot of really small and really big hooks, I might have 2 or more trees.  Divide and conquer!  ; )

FWIW, my little tree is made out of 3/4"x3/4" wood that was setting around doing nothing.  Be creative, you can probably do better than I did. I mean, if you can't, then you're not really trying!  Think "Lincoln Logs", but use a drill to help poke the aluminum rods through. Surely you can generalize this idea in many directions--the key idea here is to use aluminum rods, much like the stores use.  If you don't know what Lincoln Logs are, then you might need to look around for someone a few years older than you to help you out!    If one was "very desperate", a 2x4 and a coat hanger could be made to work--look around, see what you have, and think how you can improve  on that!  Hand-rubbed lacquer finish--optional (I never got around to it) : )

Bill_729

><===)'>      --8888o-------------------------------------------------------------------

#24 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,862 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:42 AM

That space looks good, Poopdeck.  My only problem with original packaging for hooks is pulling ONE out.  Always seem to catch more than one on my crotchet needle or with my tweezers ... and the extras, of course, drop all over the place.

I use small containers from Dollar Tree.  They come in two sizes.  The large one is approximately 1.5" tall by 1" diameter.  The small one is (approx.) 1" x 3/4".

https://www.dollartr...ntainers/177607

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#25 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:05 AM

Flytire, looks awesome. What about 3xl #4 streamer hooks or those 1/0 salmon fly hooks? I'm guessing they don't fit into bead containers.

3xl and 4xl #4 hooks are in there 

box.jpg

and in post #9 i mentioned i keep longer streamer hooks in their original package and store them in a plastic shoe box

i dont tie 1/0 salmon hooks

#26 FishnPhil

FishnPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

Ahh, I didn't think they would fit. Missed the earlier note about the shoe box. I like the simplicity and ease of finding hooks with your setup.

I made this but it's a pain to get hooks which are behind others and I've outgrown it and need something that holds more.

f05gsz.jpg

#27 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

Size 4 seems to be the limit but if you don't tie streamers these boxes are great for storing hooks

#28 Sandan

Sandan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:07 AM

https://www.michaels...t/10468278.html

#29 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:21 AM

If you knock that box on the floor you're screwed :(

#30 HookedOnFTF

HookedOnFTF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

I probably fall into the hook hoarder category. To make matters worse I tie for more than myself (2 grandsons, my son and his wife). The five people are very diverse in their fly needs running the gambit from large saltwater tarpon flies to size 20 dries and nymphs. My eyesight may limit that further as size 16s may be the small end limit soon. I still really like the Darice Storage System Flytire suggested. It won’t work for 2/0 Gamakatsu SC15’s but that is okay. My bread and butter usage is in the 8 to 16 size range which it handles and organizes well I think. You’re never going to cover all bases well with one system if your inventory is huge. With that said I admire people who have the discipline to limit hook selection to the tasks at hand. I’m not one of those people.