Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Foam under fiber

Had bud trying this after buying a EP with foam in it to figure it out. Shooting for a floater or neutral....

My version....

Tie in craftfur/ polar flash then tie in foam disc. Pinch down and Krazyglue.

Repeat 2 more times with disc and reversed fur.

Finish with last fur/flash and paint head little with KG shape and add doll eyes.

IMG_4670.jpg

IMG_4672.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

3 ea 1/8" foam disc kinda teardrop shaped. If it don't float it oughta hang the surface.

IMG_4676.png

Kinda tough covering the foams with short hair on the mullet.

IMG_4679.jpg

If that should turn out to not have as much buoyancy as you are aiming for, try using Plastazote or other low density foam in place of the craft foam. Craft foam is quite a dense foam and the solid part of foam is really dense, less dense foams will make a big difference.

Great thinking though, and well executed.

Cheers,

C.

Not my original idea. EP makes a floater already.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ep%20floating%20minnow

Tried em out. They dive when stripped a little but gradually float up on pause. Need to use longer hooks, lighter, and add foam disc to gettem to bob up. Maybe try to do disc far to the back so maybe "walk the dog". That would be nice. The cockroach dives and pops right up but would get mangled by salty critters. Never really considered this, always pop and drop rather than dive, suspend, walk dog. Makes for a challenge....especially as fiber streamers.

I like the idea. The mullet run is about to get started and the green and yellow would make a great mullet pattern. After I saw it I went up and tied one up. Looks like I need a longer hook and better placement of the foam circles. I used heart shaped foam pieces, ended up with two bunched close together at the front. Dropped it into a container of water, and it floated but with the tail down and the head out of the water. It also looks more like a shad or peanut bunker. I'm going to give it a shot with the foam circles and see what happens. I'll post a picture eventually.

Philly, May wanta try your fly. I was hoping for a "walk the dog" from mine if possible. Not happening. If you recall walking plugs when at rest the rear sinks down with the head up. I think this is the key. You may have stumbled on the solution. Here's a PoleDancer that sold for $20 or so that is made to walk.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PbhOwTXHSSo/hqdefault.jpg

Tied 3 more that float well. Big purple has 4 foams; lighter hooks too. Not lotta fiber covering the foam on em either.

url=https://postimg.cc/image/a5qtyq457/]IMG_4685.jpg[/url]

IMG_4683.jpg

I' gotta try for a dog walker!

denduke, finally got around to taking a couple of pictures.

This is my take on your foam under fiber fly. Still need to work on my picture taking

post-309-0-85045000-1536972022_thumb.jpg

This is how it sits in the water.

post-309-0-76981500-1536972048_thumb.jpg

If the rain ever stops and the creeks go down I'll get a chance to fish it and see how it works.

I got this idea from the Global FlyFisher site. Foam not under the fiber

post-309-0-31100700-1536972288_thumb.jpg

How it floats in the water

post-309-0-59402400-1536972408_thumb.jpg

This last one is a take on a salt water pencil popper. All foam. From the way it floats, I'm going to add flash to the hook and a piece of a worm weight in the butt end to make that sit lower in the water.

post-309-0-98544000-1536972616_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-88689600-1536972728_thumb.jpg

One thing to remember is that getting a fly or a lure to "walk the dog" also requires rod action. Fairly easy to do with spinning tackle, a bit harder with a fly rod.

Added couple big 5/0, 1/4" foam roaches that'll float and dive a little. Double 30# mono weed guards on da green'un.

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4721.png

Add some tails.

IMG_4722.jpg

Nice. An idea to play with over the winter. Probably end up tying them on a smaller long shank hook. I cheat when I want weed guards. Use mainly the Gamakatsu weedless worm hook. Easy to bend the guard down while tying the fly.