Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Poll: Bucktail, or Synthetics for Larger Size Streamers?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Bucktail, or Synthetics? (75 member(s) have cast votes)

How many use only bucktail, and how do you use it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How many use bucktail, and use synthetics?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What hook sizes do you tie on with bucktail?

What is the range of streamer lengths you tie most with bucktail??

Do you only tie with synthetics?

If you only use synthetics, what is the hook size range you tie on?

What is the average length of flies you tie with synthetics

For either material, or combined, what is the fly length you tie most?

If the price of synthetics greatly increases, would you stop using them?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

The Joe Brooks Blonde post got me thinking about whether or not folks are getting away from using bucktail since there is such a wide variety of synthetic materials available. With the rise in price of petroleum products, it's quite possible that many synthetic materials will also increase in price since many are derived from a petroleum base. Although, prices do tend to increase on many products due to increase in fuel costs, because they still have to be shipped, with synthetics they could possibly increase in far greater amounts!

So, where do you stand ? The first 2 questions are multiple choice, the rest only have a single response.
Thanks!

#2 firedad

firedad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

I've been wondering what synthetics were best used for streamers and/or steelhead flies. I see a lot of steelhead flies using synthetics but can't find them in the local stores.

#3 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

I know what you mean! With all the different synthetics, I'm sure most shops can't afford to carry everything!

Plus, there are some that are being sold by various companies, with different names, and they're all the same material, so it's hard to pick a substitute if you can't find what a pattern calls for. It was posted in another thread that Congo hair is the same stuff as EP fibers. That's the kind of thing the folks marketing these materials don't want you to know!

Bucktail however, is always bucktail! rolleyes.gif

#4 CoachBob

CoachBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

a surprising consistancy in the results.
between fly tyer's dungeon and terminal tackle company synthetics aren't too pricey.
Bob Boese
www.caseycookadventures.com
Environmental Mystery Adventure Novels

#5 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

CoachBob, no those are pretty good suppliers, but potentially many synthetics could go up in price as crude oil prices go up. I'm just wondering if prices on such things as bucktails could also go up significantly. You've seen what the demand for saddle hackle has become, although it's not for the same reason. If synthetic prices go up, and folks can still afford to buy materials for tying, I just have to wonder how it will affect other materials. rolleyes.gif

#6 Dustin Guyette

Dustin Guyette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

Bucktail however, is always bucktail! rolleyes.gif
[/quote]

they could replace bucktail with doetail hysterical.gif

"Here we go!!!" - Shelby Stanga

#7 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

they could replace bucktail with doetail

Actually they can't, and it should be called "deertail", because what we call "bucktail" is from both bucks & doe's! whistling1.gif

#8 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

too damn many questions, but, I prefer to use bucktail (deertail) for most things where a fiber wing is called for. I also like to use squirrel tail. I have yet to find a synthetic which matches the qualities of good bucktail. I have tied minnow flies as long as six plus inches with exceptionally long and beautiful deer tails. I've tied them less than one inch too. I normally have to wade through MANY deer tails on the pegs of fly shops to find the good ones. Just today I was at BPS and bought a dyed black and dyed yellow deer tail, and they had probably 7 or 8 of each color and I wasn't really happy with any of them, but bought the "best" they had. I have a BUCKTAIL from a deer I shot nearly 20 years ago that has the best hair I've ever seen, up to 5 inches long, very straight, soft, and uniform length, it stacks wonderfully, and I am afraid of using it all. I have two from this past year which a neighbor shot, and they are almost as good. I think most tails you can buy these days come from small southern deer, most with somewhat kinky hair and variable length. Probably I'm overly picky and the fish wouldn't care, but it's always nice to tie with good materials.

the gales of November remembered...

#9 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:08 AM

I've tried different synthetics and they have worked ok, but i just prefer bucktail......If I were tying alot of bigger flies for the salt, I could see using more synthetics.

Mike

#10 salty fly

salty fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

I love a good bucktail fly.You cant go wrong with a good ole Clouser minnow,Leftys deceiver and Sea habit bucktail. I like to add some synthetics on those patterns,giv'em a little more flash and movement.Useing syntheics to make bait fish works for me,I like making a size 4 bluegill pattern that the big bass cant pass up.
Keeping on chuckin'
Bryan a.k.a. 'salty fly'

keep on chuckin'
Bryan Hibbert

AKA'Salty fly'

Surf fish bum

#11 Phish

Phish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

First of all no synthetic materials is as good as bucktail/deer tail. If you can give me a tapered synthetic material that can be just like bucktail then i be willing to hear of it otherwise the cheer beuty of natural hair is still the best. Gas prices has nothing to with that much of increase but only cause theywill sell it for that because some are willing to pay tbat much for it. Leaving the rest of to look elsewhere for materials without hijacked prices. Absolutely ridiculous!

#12 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,482 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

• Yes!
  • No!

• Smaller than 1/0!
  • 1/0 or larger, but no larger than 5/0!
  • 2/0 or larger, but no larger than 5/0!
  • 3/0 or larger but no larger than 5/0!
  • 5/0 or larger!
I can't answer this question, because I don't only use synthetics. And the vote won't go through because one has to answer all the questions.
I apologize for the lack of tact, but this is a poorly written/asked poll.

I will say that I like the looks of bucktail ... but there's some beautiful synthetic material that's prettier, flashier, MUCH more durable and easier to control. I tie with both, but will use synthetics as much as possible.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#13 Kirk Dietrich

Kirk Dietrich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

• Yes!
  • No!

• Smaller than 1/0!
  • 1/0 or larger, but no larger than 5/0!
  • 2/0 or larger, but no larger than 5/0!
  • 3/0 or larger but no larger than 5/0!
  • 5/0 or larger!
I can't answer this question, because I don't only use synthetics. And the vote won't go through because one has to answer all the questions.

I will say that I like the looks of bucktail ... but there's some beautiful synthetic material that's prettier, flashier, MUCH more durable and easier to control. I tie with both, but will use synthetics as much as possible.

I was thrown by that one too Mike. There should be an option of I use both, which was asked above but needs to be here too. I tried to skip this question as I don't "Only Use Synthetics" but the poll wouldn't let me submit without answering all of the questions.
I will say that I almost always use bucktail on inverted flies with a wing to help ensure it turns over but often incorporate translucent synthetics.
Actually, my favorite synthetic to use with bucktail is the Kinky Fibre, which is about as close to bucktail as any synthetic with its crinkly fibers.

Kirk
Every now and then, I'll make a video, wish I could find time to do more; here is the link:
http://www.youtube.c...et?feature=mhee

I've got a few folders with photos of flies, these get more updates than my videos:
http://s136.photobuc...rofile/kirkdiet

https://picasaweb.go...rich?feat=email

#14 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Picky, picky, picky! OK, I added another choice that will allow an answer! Everyone's a darn critic these days! :rolleyes:

I actually had forgotten I made this poll. :blink:

:lol:

#15 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

:lol: it is an old poll

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929