Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

hmh trv review

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#16 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

Happy Friday all- I finally ordered myself a TRV!  I spoke with Jon Larrabee at HMH and he said currently all TRV's are made to order only.  Which would explain why they're not sitting on the shelf next to the Spartan at my local fly shop.  Now it goes against my nature to order expensive things without trying them in person first and next month HMH will be at the Marlborough MA trade show, half an hour drive from me -BUT I know from experience the longer the cash sets around the more likely some life event will come up and consume it.  I prefer hearing my friends say "Wow nice new vise to wow nice new washing machine".  Jon also confirmed the current vise addresses the issues from the original production run to which Mvalbano referred above.   He said right now they are working weekends to meet demand and my vise should ship in 5 day's 'ish.  

And you thought golf was frustrating-

#17 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:15 PM

I prefer hearing my friends say "Wow nice new vise to wow nice new washing machine".  

laugh.png Because admiration from your friends is SO much more important than clean clothes and hygiene.  wink.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:25 PM

Happy Friday all- I finally ordered myself a TRV!  I spoke with Jon Larrabee at HMH and he said currently all TRV's are made to order only.  Which would explain why they're not sitting on the shelf next to the Spartan at my local fly shop.  Now it goes against my nature to order expensive things without trying them in person first and next month HMH will be at the Marlborough MA trade show, half an hour drive from me -BUT I know from experience the longer the cash sets around the more likely some life event will come up and consume it.  I prefer hearing my friends say "Wow nice new vise to wow nice new washing machine".  Jon also confirmed the current vise addresses the issues from the original production run to which Mvalbano referred above.   He said right now they are working weekends to meet demand and my vise should ship in 5 day's 'ish.  

I can't remember saying, or hearing anybody say "wow, nice new washing machine" Vises on the other hand, that's different.

#19 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:32 PM

My wife has said nice washing machine.😁

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#20 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:18 PM

Well DFoster Merry Christmas and good luck with that baby. Would love to read a review from you after a short time.

#21 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:22 AM

I prefer hearing my friends say "Wow nice new vise to wow nice new washing machine".  

laugh.png Because admiration from your friends is SO much more important than clean clothes and hygiene.  wink.png

That was my wife's argument as well- You wouldn't believe how close I came to ending up with a new microwave or some other non fishing related "Necessity"!

#22 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:41 AM

Well DFoster Merry Christmas and good luck with that baby. Would love to read a review from you after a short time.

Merry Christmas to you as well!  I will be happy to give you my thoughts after I've tied on the TRV for a bit but in full disclosure I only have limited experience with vises other than my Renzetti Traveler.  I'm a dedicated trout and stream guy.  95% of my flies are the classic patterns in the 12-18 range. For a couple of weeks in the autumn I tie a few American style salmon flies, 2 -10's, when the local land locked Atlantics run. So my review will be somewhat limited to the type of tying I do.  Someone who also ties saltwater, realistics or small stuff would be able to give a more complete review.

#23 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:28 PM

GgB7FG3.jpg

came in today

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#24 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:56 PM

came in today

Cool! After you give it a good workout lets hear what you think of it.

#25 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:45 PM

Flytire looks like you got the non glare version. Enjoy.

#26 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:53 PM

huh?

whats the glare version?

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#27 johnnyquahog

johnnyquahog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:06 PM

huh?

whats the glare version?

Big honkin shiney brass base like those from the Bill Hunter HMHs from the 80's

#28 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

aha!

since the big honkin shiny brass base wont make me a better tyer, i opted for the big honkin not so shiny blackish base. cheaper too

#29 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

Nice FT, nice
cb27

#30 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

Nice Norm, looks like Santa was early this year.