Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

The batteries in my cautery ran out

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

Vic, i'm going to give the lighter and guard another try-out, see if I burn less threads. It's something to consider.

I never worried about the prior life of my cauteries. They were from the ER so I'm pretty sure they never touched anybodies hoo-ha. Superficial wounds I can handle, (rubbed down profusely with alcohol).

#17 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

I would think hot enough to cauterize would be hot enough to sterilize?

#18 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:17 PM

i dont think i'd use a cauterizer that was involved in changing Mr Winky's appearance

gcE.gif

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

#19 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

Cautery tools are great, but I got sick of mine eating batteries like candy.  Look into a corded wood burning tool if you (and you probably do) have a close wall outlet.  It works pretty much the same way as a cautery and no batteries to ever replace.  I use mine around hook eyes on deer hair bugs.  I used to recess eye sockets on hair bugs but don't do it anymore.  I just glue right to the side of the bug with gel CA and that's plenty durable enough without making the house smell like burnt hair. 

#20 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

Hi Cream, My medical supply versions don't go through batteries that fast, I wonder if they are different.

#21 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:19 PM

I have a couple ex-surgical instruments and one that I picked up pretty cheap (around $10 if remember right from the craft store). I really like the precision for removing tiny amounts near the hook eye - although I have found for very pinpoint work, I have to rest both hands on my vise and control the tool in both as well.

#22 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:06 PM

flyty, I take an albuterol inhaler in my nebulizer a couple of times a day to keep lungways open. After a treatment my hands shake like Parkinson's for about an hour. No tying during that time. Even later depending on the day and my system I'm still not steady enough to use the cauterizer yet. Usually two hours will get hands back to fairly normal use but years ago I used to have the steady hands of a surgeon (definitely not one though) but age, the lung treatments and other meds mean my hands are never completely steady anymore. I can still tie size 24 nymphs but my vise probably won't see a size 26 Adams with wings again. 

#23 johnnyquahog

johnnyquahog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

to add to the conversation here, I'm a big fan of the cauterizing tool.  I tried the wood burner but it is too awkward for my style.  You need to plug it in, I don't feel I have the same control and I'm always thinking it is going to fall on the floor and burn the carpet due to the sheer weight of the cord.  The batteries last quite a few bugs.  I use it mostly to form eye sockets in deer hair as in this 10" american eel I tied this morning.  This is a 7.5 mm eye.  I use beacon 527 as an adhesive and as mom used to say "it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!".

Attached Thumbnails

• eye2.jpg
  • cauterizeing tool2.jpg
  • socket2.jpg

#24 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:39 PM

Bodkin has worked pretty well at cleaning hook eyes for me, and has the advantage of no batteries, and no heat to set things on fire. The clean up of material around the head, I just don't get, but I'm a slow learner. The eye sockets in hair flies kinda looks good, but probably not something I will ever do. I use very few eyes like that and don't see the purpose on a floating hair bug, the only ones I use deer for.

Interesting ideas though and at the price of those "disposable" med units it makes sense to replace the batteries if using this way.

#25 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

If you start tying "realistic flies" (especially nymphs) you will find  a cautery tool  is useful for bending the joints in "Japanese legs" (which are really just plastic filaments like you find in some brooms.) Just don't actually touch the leg or it will melt through and fall off.

#26 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

Speaking of batteries (solar cells ... it's just how my mind wanders)  There's a full eclipse of the Moon tonight/morning.  Sometime around midnight.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis