Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Baetis nymphs - trout food

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:37 AM

Hi guys. 

Here are my favorite  baetis nymphs tied with tungsten beads. I like them because are very east to tie,  effective,  easy to find material and super fast to make them ( if your materials are ready prepared each fly will take 3min  maximum )

Lot of tiers, these days tie complicate  flies,  I do not know, probably too much time to spend :) Simple flies  and effective too are too often forgotten. Anyway here are  my  baetis, I prefer to tie in size #14,16 and 18. Each  color and size  has a row with 20positions in  my fly box. I really love them  because they catch fish all the time, from late Spring till late Autumn.

golden-olive-baetis-980x654.jpg 

Pale-morning-baetis-980x654.jpg 

cream-baetis-980x654.jpg 

#2 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:20 AM

Nice. Are all of your nymphs bead heads?
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#3 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:36 AM

Very nice flies.

Rick

#4 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:43 AM

Hi Darell and Rick,  thanks .

@Darell -Of course that I have  and I tie flies without beads:

baetis type:

micro-olive-with-catgut-for-trout-and-gr

baetis-nymphs.jpg

baetis1.jpg

Classic-Pheasant-tails.jpg

Bugs, GRHE and PT

GRHE-Troutline.jpg

Classic-Pheasant-tails.jpg

gammarus-tied-by-Lucian-Vasies.jpg

here are just a few :)

TL

Lucian

#5 Abel M.

Abel M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

All of your ties are very clean n your photography is excellent!

#6 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:23 PM

I love simple flies and these are excellent.

#7 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:09 AM

Okay, my bodies are smooth and tapered until you magnify them and look closely. How are you tying them so smooth and precisely tapered? Are you tying under a magnifier? Are you tying them super slowly and meticously? They are really really nice ties.

#8 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

My eyes are still ok no need to use magnifier. But I think  that I will start using glasses from this Spring ( difficult to make cdc duns on size #18-22 ).   

To obtain fine and tapered bodies I tie a lot  the same fly until the result is good and the flies look the same. probably the most important thing is the thread, I use very thin thread: 70den flat is the best for me.

I spend around 3-6 min on a fly. For example, on the gammarus I spend around 6-8min because I have to catch in a dubbing loop the dubbing and CDC fibers. I prepare the CDC and dubbing for that body each time  and is time consuming 

For a baetis nymph I spend 3 min for tying. I usually tie 10,  one after one and I prepare the materials before  starting tying process.