Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Getting Started - Again

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mrbamboo

mrbamboo

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:32 PM

It has been about 40 years ago I tied flies, still have all the materials hooks and tools. 

Looking at working thru R.B. Trout plates, any suggestions on where to find pattern descriptions with materials?

#2 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:40 PM

http://hatchesmagazi...man-collection/

This isn't the full collection but it's a great start
Tight lines,
David

#3 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

Thanks dflanagan for that reference.

#4 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

If you've had your hackles from 40 years ago, they're probably inferior to modern necks.  Also, thread kind of degrades with age.  Fly tying has changed a lot in 40 years.

#5 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:06 PM

Looking at working thru R.B. Trout plates

Whoa! Getting back into fly tying by doing that would be truly impressive... I'd love to see pics of that getting done in each month's Flies from the Vise...
cb27

#6 mrbamboo

mrbamboo

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

Will do, and thanks for the link.  Though it is hard to toss 40 year old jungle cock capes.

Just picked up Favorite Flies and Their History by Mary O. Marbury, to help out with the old fly patterns further on in the book.

#7 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

Why would you need to throw away 40 year old jungle cock. Just wondering. Legal jungle cock is sold today.

#8 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

Why would you need to throw away 40 year old jungle cock. Just wondering. Legal jungle cock is sold today.

I would not and I am still using some hackle from 40 years ago. Genetic hackle is wonderful for tiny dry flies, but those flies Mrbamboo  wants to copy were all tied with the feathers available at the time and I doubt that they will all look right if done with dry fly hackle.

The advise of looking at and comparing what he has with modern hackle would be good.  Then again I am still using some threads from 40 years ago too. If the feathers or thread are rotted, pitch them, but I'm guessing you stored them well and most will be usable.

#9 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:04 PM

I don't think Gene L. was referring to Jungle cock when talking about 40 yr old hackle. I'm sure those old capes have some nice spade hackle that can be used.

#10 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:05 PM

+1 -- I was thinking the modern improvements in fly tying materials have not really been with the materials used to make those classic flies, and that those classic fly materials would be comparatively more expensive if you were to go out and buy them today.
cb27

#11 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

I don't think most of Bergen's flies used exotics. I
maybe wrong but i think most of the materials are
still readily available.

#12 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

You're probably right mogup.
cb27

#13 mrbamboo

mrbamboo

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

Then I guess then using my old stuff should work for the "Old" Bergman Flies.  Not quite the same age but . . .   close??

Thanks for the encouragement.

#14 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:39 PM

Davy McPhail has a video of tying a dry fly with Indian necks.  They are very fishable and work, maybe take two feathers to hackle..  But his wasn't anything like R. Bergman flies.  I'm not sure when the modern photographs of RB flies were made, but they sure don't look like Indian capes.

#15 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:16 AM

Only if I'm captured and tortured will I go back to tying drys
with Indian necks !