Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

CRAZY FISHING TRIP!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:05 PM

Hey guys! It's TIER, the not so professional fisherman (Aka. The Wannabe professional.) I went to Valdez again. This time there was not fly fishing (I am going to Clearwater tomorrow, so hopefully I'll do some fly fishing) and there was no salmon. The salmon were all gone (Cue black and white and sad music.) But, on the upside there were these fish.

1. I was going to the city docks, and I saw someone taking a fish out of a pond I thought was over fished. I went down to him and he said They were just attacking his lure. After fishing and catching 2 decent trout I had to go check in, and pretty soon I was back out there. I CAUGHT 8 FISH IN 2 HOURS!!!!!! I only got a picture of two, which are picture 1 and 2. 3 is what I was using for a lure. 

2. THE NEXT DAY... Fishing at the city dock. 3 was the smallest Irish lord I have ever caught and 4 was a baby lingcod (I think.) The same day I caught 2 trout, 1 I didn’t get a picture of. 5 is the one That I did get a picture of.

3. THE NEXT DAY… Man am I glad I went to Ruth pond! 6 is a picture of a HUGE 17 inch trout! I also caught a big cod (#7) and an Irish lord (8)!

4. Okay, I didn’t mess around with my camera that day because cameras are hard to deal with. I also didn’t have much space left in my storage. Also we were pulling out the boat. We did go out on the boat to dump the black tanks. I got pictures of the trip for you guys (9,10,11,and 12)

In all I caught 30 fish! Thanks for reading, and keep an eye out for my trip to Clearwater river for Grayling and Salmon!.

Attached Files

Person: "The world's on fire!"

Me: "Well, the lake isn't, so what's the problem?"

A bad pun by James (TIER) Fox

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,952 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:50 AM

Looks like you had some fun.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:34 PM

Yep, looks like a good time. Good for you!!

#4 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

Both of you, Is number 5 a lingcod?

#5 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

I'm not an expert but i just did a google search of "young lingcod" and your fish doesn't look quite right, especially because the upper and lower fins are continuous on your fish, not so on the lingcod.

#6 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

Is there a difference between "Lingcod" and "Cod"?  I did an online search too, and "cod" turned up results that looked more like that fish.  The lingcod results looked ... more colorful.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

Is there a difference between "Lingcod" and "Cod"?  I did an online search too, and "cod" turned up results that looked more like that fish.  The lingcod results looked ... more colorful.

Yes there is a difference. There are several kinds of cod in Alaska and as I understand, ling cod are not really in the cod family like true cod, grey cod, pacific, saffron  and tom cod are. Ling cod actually do have some quite pretty textures and colors on them, I think.

#8 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:25 PM

Lingcod taste like Shrimp!