Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Solarez and Ultrafire WF502b light

I bought the little "starter pack" of Solarez with the 3 small tubes; one each of Thin Hard,Thick Hard and Flex. I also bought a light called an Ultrafire WF 502b that had been recommended in an article I read somewhere on UV Resins for fly tying.

So far, I have had very poor results using this light. No matter how long I expose the Solarez to the light, and no matter which Solarez forumula I'm using, I can't get it to cure. It remains tacky and gooey no matter what I do.

My question is this -- I know that others use this same light with Solarez, possibly even some folks on here. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

I use solarez with a mucho cheapo light I got from amazon and it works well.

I would take a drop of the solarez formulas out into the sun to make sure it hardens as it is supossed to. If it does, it is the light. Check the batteries. If it does not, then it is the Solarez. That is all I can think I would do.

Contact Silver Creek (member of this forum) he has lots of knowledge concerning different resins and curing lamps:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=85123&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

He also sells resins and lamps at very reasonable prices...just in case you need to reload on either or both.

I bought the little "starter pack" of Solarez with the 3 small tubes; one each of Thin Hard,Thick Hard and Flex. I also bought a light called an Ultrafire WF 502b that had been recommended in an article I read somewhere on UV Resins for fly tying.

So far, I have had very poor results using this light. No matter how long I expose the Solarez to the light, and no matter which Solarez forumula I'm using, I can't get it to cure. It remains tacky and gooey no matter what I do.

My question is this -- I know that others use this same light with Solarez, possibly even some folks on here. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

All the solarez cures super fast with the light I use, which is their light they sell.

did u buy the "UV" light or the non "UV" light?

purple light or white light

i use this $5.00 21led uv light with solarez bone dry resin with no problems and it cures as advertised

uvlight.jpg

dont be fooled with the high mark on vendor lights

No problemo with either lite. Can't believe all the resins are laulty. Put some in the sun....the deal from the beauty shop looks like only led (yellow squares) but it hardens just as good as the $15 basspro lite

IMG_1003.jpg

i use this $5.00 21led uv light with solarez bone dry resin with no problems and it cures as advertised

uvlight.jpg

I had that light flytier, and it took 30 seconds or so to cure, and broke in 2 months. Then I got the one that Solarez sells (it is pricy though, like $54 or something) and it cures in 2-5 seconds and I've had it now for a year...

r

Well...I just looked up the light I bought under "my orders" on Amazon, and here is the description:

Ultrafire WF-502B 1000 LM LED Flashlight Torch with Batteries and Charger, Black

"UV" doesn't appear anywhere in there. And the light it gives is white, not purple.

Looks like I made a pretty obvious mistake. Don't I feel like flippin' idiot!

Thanks Flytire...:)

Line all those soft UV flies on a piece of foam and stick them out in the sun until you get the right light. I find if I want a really hard, shiny surface I give them a little extra with the good light and then the surface won't dull by rubbing it. If it's not truly locked in it'll lose it's great sheen with a little finger rubbing.

You're right B15 and PD, that is funny.

Replace the batteries,,, most of the UV lights will work fine until the battery gets weak,, then the wavelength and light output is too weak to cure the resin.

Regards,

FK

I have never had a problem with cheap UV lights from eBay, I generally pay less than 3 dollars.