Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How big are most of your WW Bass Flies?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Warmwater Bass Flies (401 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of bass do you fish for mainly?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What size hook do you use predominantly?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What is the average length of the fly?

What does your most used flies represent?

What weight rod do you use the most?

Where do you fish? Freshwater only

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Robert M

Robert M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

On average how large are your Warmwater Flies what are you fishing for

" Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing - after they have exhausted all other possibilities "
--Winston Churchill --

Bob/Oldgoat

#2 crowbuster

crowbuster

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

LArgemouth bass almost exclusively. I throw main 8-12 but will throw larger on occasion. However, they are not small body flies; they're pretty big for 8-12.
"I'm either fishing, fly-tying, or wishing I could be doing one or the other"

#3 MickThompson

MickThompson

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

I fish for smallmouth in rivers. I tie 4 1/2" zonkers on a #4 streamer hook, and 2-3" surface flies on #2 and1/0. I think you will have more success with bigger flies (3"+) for bass, at least with subsurface flies, because flies don't make as much noise and vibration as conventional bas tackle, so you need the bigger profile to get their attention.

#4 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

I tie almost every bass fly of mine under 4". In SE Ohio, I am fishing a lot of small public lakes from shore and kayak that get pretty heavy pressure from other anglers, but I tend to be the only fly angler. Due to the pressure, I like to throw smaller patterns around the 2.5-3" range. It will surprise you how many large fish will hit smaller baits, too. I am about as likely to catch a 12" crappie as an 18" largemouth, it seems. My biggest bass flies are smaller versions of Barry's Pike Fly, tied on a #2 heavy shank bait hook, about 5" in length. I have not used them much yet, but the action is phenomenal.

#5 smalliestalker

smalliestalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

I fish mainly for smallmouth in rivers, my flies are all 3-6 inches in length...mainly baitfish patterns.....usually tied on a 1/0 or size 2 streamer hook...Largemouth are usually 1/0 or 2/0 hooks, 3-8 inch baitfish patterns, poppers in the 2-5 inch range, divers....LMB are usually shallow lakes 8-12 ft deep....Walleye I fish the same patterns as smallies....Pickerel I use a combo of LMB and SMB flies, usually divers and poppers on the surface....I throw either a 6 wt or 8 wt...both 9 ft.....
standing in a river waving a stick
http://www.spanglefish.com/subbuggin
http://gotbronze.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/theinkedfisherman
www.flyrecipes.com

#6 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

Largemouths mainly but Stripers too in many of the same tidal creeks I fish. Sometimes catch both together! thumbup.gif

1/0 or 2/0 mostly, average 3 to 4 inches long.

Baitfish primarily, then others!

8 wt. most of the time, but I'll go up to a 10 wt, or down as far as a 3 wt depending on the water being fished & the flies I intend to throw. smile.gif

Mostly I fish in tidalwater, but when I fish in freshwater it's usually in a stream.

#7 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

Generally I fish for Smallmouths in lakes with a 5-6 wt. My flies are usually representing various baitfish and are in the #2-#6 1 1/2" - 2 1/2" range.
Just so you know though a Smallmouth is a black bass also smile.gif
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#8 Robert M

Robert M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (smallieFanatic @ May 14 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Generally I fish for Smallmouths in lakes with a 5-6 wt. My flies are usually representing various baitfish and are in the #2-#6 1 1/2" - 2 1/2" range.

Yea I think spotted basses fall under that umbrella also. Duh! rolleyes.gif

Originally I wasn't going to include the stripers, whipers and whites
" Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing - after they have exhausted all other possibilities "
--Winston Churchill --

Bob/Oldgoat

#9 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

river smallmouth from a kayak. 1 1/2-3inch flies. 8wt so i can get some of the carp also and the occasional catfish or largie.
Proudly Tying on a Renzetti 2200 Traveler Cam Model with Base

Fishyboy's Fly Pattern Database Submissions

#10 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

Smallies
2/0
2 to 4 inches
6 wt
rivers and lakes
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#11 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Robert M @ May 14 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (smallieFanatic @ May 14 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea I think spotted basses fall under that umbrella also. Duh! rolleyes.gif

Originally I wasn't going to include the stripers, whipers and whites

Yes you're right--all Micropterous species are considered black bass wink.gif
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#12 BrianMyers

BrianMyers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

Smallies in rivers and streams
size 6-8 mostly @ 1"-2" esp. any pattern that rides hook up
7wt 90% of the time
Always seem to do better with smaller flies even when fishing lakes for largemouths
They call it roadkill, We call it dubbing.

#13 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

the last few years I only had largemouths available near where I lived. I usually fished the biggest fugliest things I could cast on my 7 wt. Normally the bigger the better, largemouths are called largemouths for a reason. I've caught baby 5 inch largemouths on a 5 inch streamer. I've also caught some bigger largemouths (4-5 lbs) on #10 wet flies while trying to catch bluegills.

Smallmouths in rivers and streams (thank God I now live in smallmouth country!) I normally do better with stuff in the general size of the baitfish and other prey creatures in the water. Streamers 2-4 inches and nymphs/buggers/others in whatever size, but not tiny. Bass appreciate a mouthful, even during a hatch of big bugs. Also have caught some really nice smallmouths on #12 and #10 woollly worms and nymphs.

You need to cover all the bases.

the gales of November remembered...

#14 eugward

eugward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

I know for myself I will threw smaller flies to get blue gills too. There are times that I will cast the bigger flies to only go bass or pickerel fishing. headbang.gif
I do what the voices in my fly bag tell me to do

#15 Robert M

Robert M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

So it looks like if you went fishing for Largemouth or Smallmouth Bass with a 6 to 7wt rig and used a baitfish patter that was tied on a #6 to #2 hook with an overall length of 2-1/2" to 4" you would be in pretty good company no matter where you went fishing.

So is there a way to refine this survey/poll so it would give a better idea of what a beginner could do to catch Bass species across the US?
--Winston Churchill --

Bob/Oldgoat