Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Topwater Bass Strikes!

bass topwater poll poppers warmwater

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Topwater Bass Fishing (84 member(s) have cast votes)

Which topwater bass strike do you like better? The toilet flushing, or the bowling ball falling from the sky?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:31 AM

In the very early days of the bass tournaments, some events in Texas actually had truckloads of unwanted bass hauled to dumps after weigh-in. The boats did not have very good "live" wells then, the temperatures were out of sight , and there was no penalty for dead fish.  That all changed when it was clear there big money to be made if PR demands were met. Next thing you know, aerated live wells  and live release became the rule. 

Rocco

#32 ditz2

ditz2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:56 AM

I personally don't see a problem here in middle TN of under harvesting. Poaching is rampant and I am not talking about a few fish over the limit. Gross quantities of fish being kept and apparently sold. Most of the offenders are folks that are from outside the US. I suppose they are not familiar with possession limits.

#33 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:54 PM

I like the bowling ball strike just as you get your fly close and you're getting ready to lift it out of the water.Just about yank's the rod out of your hand.Scares the crap out of you and kick starts your heart at the same time.

Most of the offenders are folks that are from outside the US. I suppose they are not familiar with possession limits.

I have no problem with folk's from outside the U.S. but the illegal immigrants here are getting to be a bad problem as far as the poaching.They will take all the fish out of a small pond in just a short time and use any means they can to do it.The last thing they are worried about is possession limits.If they are caught they don't get fined they just get the law's explained to them.Yea that's what my license fee's are paying for.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#34 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:52 AM

I am with you Steve, it's a big problem here makes what should be continually decent ponds terrible.

#35 Brodrash

Brodrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:47 AM

We have similar problems in my hometown except instead of foreigners catching to many fish, they catch ducks with fishing poles and bread........and serve them at their Asian Cuisine restaurant. LOL

At least they used to until the game warden informed them that what they were doing was actually illegal.

#36 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:21 PM

Haha I'd almost rather have that problem, the park ponds get way to many birds.

#37 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

https://www.youtube....user/fishboy242
Check the "slow motion bass blow ups"

A94F5CA4-F1B0-40C1-8B66-20D43B71A8D8_zps

https://m.facebook.c...088248724556879
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#38 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,743 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

Wow ... that's a very COOL video.  Hand fed bass, but still exciting to watch.

I had a day like that on Sheldon Reservoir in Houston, TX ... back in 2002 or 3.  

I caught more than 40 bass on a Saturday, most of them over 3 pounds.  Went back on Sunday and caught more than 30.  Absolutely, the best weekend of fishing ... period !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bass, topwater, poll, poppers, warmwater