Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Purple

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:33 PM

IMG-5618.jpg
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#2 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

I am using more purple flies now than I did before. Also orange.

Good looking flies.

Rick

#3 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:36 PM

Nice flies.  It's one color I've never had luck with.  I know it's popular on the dark side for bass fishing.   I've caught a couple weakfish on a fly that imitated  a hot buck tail and soft plastic combination that everyone was fishing at the time.   It was a red over white buck tail jig with a purple fire tail plastic worm threaded on the hook.  I tied up a couple.   Used purple estaz for the body and tail with a bunch of hot pink marabou wrapped on the end, dumbbell eyes and red over white buck tail tied behind the hook eye.  Did have a couple of largemouth bass follow it in my local creek.  I still think I have one left.  Another old fly to dig up and give it a shot in the spring for bass.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#4 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

Popular for salty stuff mostly...
https://www.microski...72/#post-539802
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#5 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

I was looking for some flies for another post and found the fly I was describing.  I'll take a picture and post it later.

#6 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:23 PM

Here's the only fly I've tied that has a lot of purple in it.   It's gotta be 15 years old.  After I looked at the picture after I downloaded it to my computer, I realized  the twist in the tail was untwisting and pieces of the pink portion were coming loose.  I'll have to see how I can improve on it.

Attached File  P2150366.JPG   87.24KB   0 downloads

#7 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

Purple is the best Bass worm color, IMHO.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach