Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Poppers with gill slits

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:09 AM

A couple weeks ago my salt water club had a tying class on poppers with gill slits.  Not a new idea but he expanded on it a little bit.  He supplied some pre-made bodies for the class and we worked on those.  He gave us some pre-formed bodies to take home with us and I brought some "templates" from him.  Reason being the poppers we were doing were for salt water and I wanted to downsize them to bass and pan fish size.  This is what I came up with.   Something to throw with my 6 wgt.

Attached File  P4230388 (2).JPG   90.45KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P4230383 (2).JPG   97.87KB   0 downloads

View from the back showing the "gills"

Attached File  P4230384 (2).JPG   79.05KB   0 downloads

This one is pan fish size.  

Attached File  P4230386 (2).JPG   63.29KB   1 downloads

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:17 AM

I like putting gill representations on my streamers, poppers, etc.  I haven't tied very many crease flies, but I did gill slits on the ones I fished.  I put them a lot closer to the eye, though.  Yours appear more "mid-body" than actual gill location.

Actually, I think it's just the bit of red that's the draw.  The fish don't care if it's gills or blood ... it's a signal to take advantage of.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

Agree.  Whether it's a red band on my "Red Neck Crappie Jigs", a red or orange throat on a streamer, red is a good accent.

#4 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

I was looking at that, Mike.   I first met him at a "Heroes on the Water"  fly fishing and fly tying workshop my salt water club did back in March.   He gave out samples of some of his flies.  I picked a popper and a diver.   I think what it is that  when I was downsizing the pattern  I didn't reduce the head portion enough in relation to the rest of the body, that's why the slits are so far back.   I haven't fished them yet.  I'm curious to see what the action will be with the water flowing through the "gills".  

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."