Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Has anyone used or tyed a mop fly?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie1947

Charlie1947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

Ive seen mentioned and pictures of a mop fly? Has anyone used or tyed a mop fly and what was your experience? If you have tyed them what sizes and colors worked best? Thanks for your help?
Very Kind Regards,
Charlie1947
Kind Regards,
Charlie1947

#2 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

I have seen the mops and understand the concept.  Never have drank the Kool-Aid.  Not saying I may not do it some day.  But there are several how-to's on the YouTube.  I have seen a few nice ones here in various posts.

#3 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

Lotta people go nuts over them I tried them. The big ones cause missed strikes for me and I found myself snipping them off. There are some small ones around that work better for me. Bream was a problem bass flies with them prolly no problem. For me other options. The big ones do get soggy. Here's some small ones.
IMG-5197.png

IMG-2125.png
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#4 richmce

richmce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

my best mops are tied on a 1/64 jighead or beadhead      blue has been my best color . if small to med gills are around use a shorter tail .

#5 Charlie1947

Charlie1947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:38 PM

Lotta people go nuts over them I tried them. The big ones cause missed strikes for me and I found myself snipping them off. There are some small ones around that work better for me. Bream was a problem bass flies with them prolly no problem. For me other options. The big ones do get soggy. Here's some small ones.
IMG-5197.png

IMG-2125.png

Thanks so much! The first set appear to be tyed on dry fly hooks, the second set on scud hooks, correct? What sizes?
I love fishing ultralight, 2wt up to 4wt. The first set look light great panfish flies! I really appreciate you!
Kind Regards,
Charlie1947

#6 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=85583

http://www.flytyingf...ic=86066&page=1

http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=86612

http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=84369

After reading some of the above and some other stuff, I finally found a mop or two and tied a few I also found a couple at the trout park, colors that never got a look at by trout, sunfish, or brown bass are green/chanteuse, pink, and grayish. I tried some mega worms at about the same time that got lots of short strikes but not hookups.

#7 richmce

richmce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

for gills keep the tail to the size of the hook gap.  for crappie go longer   you can also taper the tails over aflame   but do it slowly

#8 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:40 PM

Charlie, size 12 on the giant caddis pupas but I use lotta unconventional hooks like the bait hooks, salmon egg hooks that I run across. Daiichi most of em... size 8,10 mostly, few 14...
IMG-6076.jpg
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#9 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:43 PM

I've definitely tied them.   Here's some pictures of fish I caught in the Poconos last May.  This year's trip is a month off.  Hoping for a repeat performance.

Attached File  P5210247 (2).JPG   124.25KB   1 downloads

Attached File  P5210250 (2).JPG   108.69KB   2 downloads

Attached File  P5210253 (2).JPG   94.83KB   2 downloads

Attached File  P5210249 (3).JPG   151.68KB   2 downloads

I'm going to rework some of my mini-mop flies following  denduke's lead, replacing the sparkle chenille, with peacock herl and soft hackles.

This what my trout/pan fish box looked like last year.  They're tied on size 10 hooks

Attached File  P4140198.JPG   208.45KB   2 downloads

and my pan fish/bass box.  These are tied on hooks ranging from size 8 to size 4.

Attached File  P4140195.JPG   390.69KB   2 downloads

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#10 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:28 PM

I had a very close call with them. Mike, who I most often fish with, wanted to try them. I went to the local hardware store to get some various coloured mops to use on the flies. However, the ones they had said they were "dusters" not "mops". So it is sorry Mike, they didn't have any mops (and I've been told dusters do not make good flies).

wink.png

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#11 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:35 PM

Actually, the dust mops make decent flies.  The one advantage they have over the mops most of us use is that they can be dyed.   Unlike the mitt mops which are designed to suck up water and release it, the dust mops will hold dye.   Unfortunately, they don't make them in white.  The mop bath mats which you can find in white, will hold dye but they come out in pastel shades.  If you look at the first row in the bottom picture in my post.  Most of them are either mop pieces from a bath mat or a dust mop. 

#12 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:25 AM

Philly, I tie more flies for Mike than I do for myself. You are now removing a well crafted excuse to not tie him even more. The other week it was Butcher wet flies he wanted. I asked which variation? All of them, of course, was his reply. I ended up having to tie 5 dozen for him. Now you are showing him a vast array of mop flies and you are destroying my excuse. Have some compassion, please.

wink.png

Cheers,

C.

Edit: Looking back I have formulated a new excuse. No I'm not telling you what it is this time!

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#13 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

In line with the mindful meditation classes I've been taking, Crackaig, I will try and be more mindful and not open additional cans of worms, or mops.  Maybe.

#14 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:34 PM

Ive only been tying them and fishing them for maybe two years.
Bream tear them up, But of course Bream will eat just about anything so thats not saying much.
I have also caught quite a few Crappie on them.
Ive never trout fished with them and never caught a bass on one but I guarantee they will work on bass.

Want some ideas check this Facebook page out.

https://m.facebook.c...=content_filter

#15 The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

I just finished tying up a couple dozen on them in varying color combinations. Some I tied with hackles, some with dubbing for the head. I am going to try them out tomorrow and see how they do on Bream and Bass.

We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About