Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Very Early Mayflies

In the last few weeks, the weather here in Ky has been almost nightmarish. It will be 70 one day and then snow the next. You can be out ont he stream one afternoon and see it teeming with critters and the next day it looks as void as a desert. During one of the particularily warm days, I spotted two Mayflies...one landed on my vest, ant other on my rod. I found it rather parculiar that they were hatching so very early. Has anyone else spotted any Mayflies yet? Just curious..

sweet....not real sure what species these two were, but they were sz 12 0r 10's.....I have seen a few around since I started this thread...I'll get a porper identification and let you know what they are!

no John, I don't think so...they seemd a little large for March Browns......they were very creamy/yellow.....I saw the same mayfly this weekend on a small Eastern Mountain stream and pulled many trout from the water using a size 12 Light Cahill....was an almost perfect match. didn't see any on Saturday or Sunday....the weather turned chilly and bit rainy, but on Friday, when the sun was nice and warm, they were several scattered along the stream and in the woods that run adjacent.

Chris, I saw a few the other day when takin to cover off of my grandad`s boat. We saw two. We were both surprised, cause we love fishing the may fly hatches. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Okay, fellas...sorry for the delay, but I have positively idnetified the bug in question as the Golden Mayfly...it is a larger genus of the mayfly family and is apparently quiet abundant in the Eastern US.....huge hatches of this insect are not uncommon and according to the Entomology Dept at U of KY, a nice hatch should occur in the midle of May on some of the larger mountain flows.....