Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MIKE*A

Saw my 1st cicadas today!

They were just outside my office on the south side of Dayton (Ohio). they emerged from under a tree on an island in the middle of our parking lot. I haven't seen any any where else. the soil on this "island" is probably warmer than the rest because its surrounded by blacktop.....atleast thats my guess and I'm sticking with it.......shouldn't be long......

Mike

I hate these things ! Noise buggers, only time I cant hear them is in the shower.

Maybe thats the reason I smell so clean this time of year... laugh.gif

Have heard some reports of a few in our area, haven't seen any yet though. Should be going strong by the end of the week.

A pro tyer here in PA has come up with a pattern for the cicadas. The body is deer hair and is tied on a needle by the tips, then folded back like a bullet head tie, and then segmented using the tying thread. It's removed from the needle and tied to a hook. A bullet head is added along with wings and legs. It's tied fairlly large. Probably a 6 or 8. I watched a another fisherman take several trout with this pattern last year during the cicada hatch.

I'd love to see a picture of that pattern. Sounds interesting & inventive. But, it seems like a lot of time and trouble for a bug that 'sonly here for 3 months every 17 years. Brood X hatched in PA last year??

There are "summer" cicadas that hatch each year in late summer, usually August and September here in SE PA. They're close in size to the 17 year Cicada that will be arriving shortly, but different coloration. They're green and brown and the wings are clear. They certainly don't hatch in the millions, but enough of them hit the water to make fly fishing interesting. Brood X is due any day now.

I haven't heard them yet, but I found this shuck in my yard an hour ago. In addition to the fact that the ice cream man is right now outside my window, Summer has officially hit Pittsburgh!! kicking.gif

post-31-1084389347.jpg

I agree with you Wooly that the cicada pattern is somewhat complicated. The good thing about tying it is you learn the steps tying a larger sized pattern. Once you have the steps perfected, you change the color and redusce the size and create a very nice grasshopper that floats like a cork.

I'll try to get a picture of one and post it.