Fly Tying
Fishigan

Favorite thread

Which thread do you prefer  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm in the market to get some more thread and I was wondering what the preferred thread was. I figured these were the 4 most common.

For all of my general tying it's Uni for me also. I seem to have a better feel for how much tension I can put on it. I like the way Gudebrod lays but I have a tendancy to break it MUCH more often. For tiny little stuff I use Benechi for 12/0.

hey guy's ! the company Uni is from here, Quebec not so far from home ! see their web site if you want. Jean guy Coté, the owner have make some great flies .

If you remember blink.gif when i present myself some weeks ago, i twas talking about a great flie here for trout: it was him who create it. the name of this flie is this one ANDREA here the flie below. This creation have make several catch since he create it ....around 2002. it's a good idea to have it in flie box whit ourself ! user posted image

Danville mono. I prefer to tie with monofilament because it is clear . the fly shop around here carries others but I like the danville best because I am used to it and know how much tension I can put on it without breaking it

I really didn't know until I just looked at my spools. Majority are Uni about some are Danville, but I noticed the newer spools of yellow and white thread are Orvis. We have a new (1 yr old now) Orvis store in Pasadena. Great place to send people Christmas shopping.

Danville Flymaster 6/0 waxed for size 16 and smaller. I like it a lot for tying small patterns, very little bulk, lays down flat, and seems to bind things to the hook well (tends to "grab" materials and hold them in place). Very pleased with how this thread performs.

I use Uni 8/0 and 6/0 for the bigger bugs, and for weaving bodies on the small flies.

Excellent link Fishigan, Thanks. By the way I use Uni 8/0 for nearly all the trout flies I tie. The rest, well what ever I have available. James