Fly Tying
JarrodRuggles

Favorite brand of hooks

Which of the following is your favorite brand to tye on?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mine would have to be the Mustads cause they arent too expensive, sharp, and extremely strong. I used to use only TMC 25 packs but I go through one of those in a couple of days. Then I found the better deal by getting 100 packs of mustads for much cheaper then the TMCs. Which do you like?

Jarrod

Gotta stay with the Mustad's. Their cheaper in cost and I've yet to have one break off EXCEPT by my lousy backcast LOL. Plus I can buy them by the thousand through Hagens.

Fatman

It depends for sure. Eagle river is the best for trout flies, and I love partridge for salmon steelhead. Kasman also has some great hooks.

For all of my dries I use TMC. I like the small barbs that are easily smashed down.

QUOTE (Bud Guidry @ Jun 11 2005, 02:14 PM)
my favorite are Ron Reinhold hooks. thumbsup.gif

Bud

I've got Ron's catalog, haven't placed an order yet. I did however pick up two original Eugene Sunday 3/0 limerick hooks this weekend though! Can't wait to see them. Don't know what I'm going to tie on them though. Ron's hooks are amazing, though I've only seen pictures of them, never held or tied with one yet. Looking forward to being able to place a fair sized order come the fall though.

In my opinion the best hooks in the world are

being made by Owner, however their selection

and availability of long shank, fly tying-appropriate

hooks is not good, so I usually end up tying on

Daiichi or Gamakatsu.

I know a lot of fishermen are diehard

"buy american" guys, but the Japanese are

very clearly kicking our asses at hook making

I bought Mustad primarily because they were very competitive price wise, and I have stuck with them coz I have never had a failure yet, so don't see a need to change.

dunno.gif dunno.gif

I generally tie on all stainless hooks unless I'm tying nymphs and those are all Mustand. Not to mention they are extremely cost effective.. Being stainless I rarely through one away, just re-sharpen and re-tie for a new fly!