Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

Tying Mylar tubing

Hello,

I am new to the forum and recently took up fly tying, mainly tying jigs. I am working on making up some small

minnow jigs with Mylar tubing, jigs about 1/16-1/8oz

What is the best thread to using when tying this type of tubing on jigs?

thx's

Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Loads of great help here with some great tiers; so sit back, get involved and enjoy.

I use Mylar on my salmon and seatrout tubes. I use 8/0 twisted, usually in black. I tie the bend-end first with about 10 wraps and then whip-finish. Then adjust the mylar to where you wnat it and tie in at the other end - this will then usually become the start of the wing... if that makes sense. I varnish the thread build up at each end to try to improve the durabilty...see below.

I hope that helps...and sort of answers what you asked. There'll be loads of other suggestions too, I am sure. ;)

post-13412-1207000405_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

thanks for the welcome. I've been wanting to get into to tying for long time and now have some time to really

get more into it.

What you've describe in your post is close to what I'm "attempting" to do. Here is an example of a similar jig I've come across that is close to what I'm doing, it's a Punisher jig. I do alot of "Float & Fly" fishing and these seem to work quiet well

IPB Image

I'd like to do something like this and maybe "dress" it up a bit more, similar to your jig example. Any suggestions or similar jigs examples would be kwel :)

Mike

Thanks, I got several Danville waxed 6/0 spools.

Mike

I tend to use 6/0 thread for most applications. I find that it works fine when tying in mylar tubing.

Browse your way through the site Mike - there's loads of examples to see. Look at the Fly Pattern Database - stacks of superb patterns of all sorts.

At the bottom of people's posts there's a 'my fly patterns' click - amazing the number of patterns people have shared.

Just give some new ideas a go. Make sure you post them on this site. Peolpe here are always supportive and helpful. Have fun :D