Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Turtle

My buds been catching bedding bass on plastic turtle baits...Years ago I tied one with deer hair shoe tongue leather for feet, tail, head....can't seem to find it. Any tried this??....

This years batch

IMG_0277.png

IMG_0276.png

Male bass build nests they drive the female there to lay eggs. She may lay in numerous beds. The male guards the nest with the female helping what time she is there.

I've seen some saltwater crab patterns that use spun deer hair to create the shell...could be done the same for a turtle.

10981996_10153277823928304_1227266060165

I don't think it matters much what you throw at them they are usually pretty defensive/aggressive once they have made a bed for spawning.

I don't agree with harvesting bedding fish, but just for recreation I don't see a problem

Don't know about the fly, if you make one post a pic and a list of ingredients I'd like to try to tie one as well

fishing bedded fish isn't fishing, leave them alone

Apparently you've never tried to catch bedded bass, especially large ones, in high pressure, crystal clear water. It's a challenge. But it produces once in a lifetime trophies. I don't ever keep fish from a bed, only CPR. Catch. Photo. Release. Also the jr tourney league I fished with held tourneys in spring where all fish were photoed, weighed, and released, and each boat had an official to verify. This meant the fish weren't kept in a live well all day then let go miles from the nest. Rather handled carefully, released on site.

Fishing for bedded fish is fishing. That's like saying hunting a gobbler working hens isn't hunting, or a buck working does for that matter. It takes different techniques, skills, and presentations. But it's still fishing.

Schmitty, if you object to harvesting bedding fish, then you should know that catching them, even intending to C&R, takes them off the bed long enough for the bluegills to eat all the fry. They get a lot even with momma there to guard them. They get them all if she's taken away.

Schmitty, if you object to harvesting bedding fish, then you should know that catching them, even intending to C&R, takes them off the bed long enough for the bluegills to eat all the fry. They get a lot even with momma there to guard them. They get them all if she's taken away.

Eggs, Flafly. Once the eggs are laid, the "momma" is gone. In fact, it is also noted that many females will lay eggs in more than one nest. The males stay to protect the eggs and fry until they swim off into the closest vegetation ... or the male starts eating it's young.

I am not disagreeing with your statement ... the bream in the area will immediately try to swarm the nest if the female is removed, and try to eat the eggs. BUT, there is still the males around to protect them.

Taking a female off the nest only truly interrupts the laying of the eggs. Since the laying of eggs is a voluntary act, even that might not be as bad as one might think.

Catching female bass off beds actually impacts the population much less than the "nay-sayers" worry about.

after a while you learn that trophys and records are silly.

Maybe so. But you can't say that the adrenaline of hooking a small fish equals the rush from hooking a monster.

hifisherboy.. i like catching big fish too, but i don,t like yanking them off the spawning bed..there,s plenty of big fish not on the bed to fish for..they don,t all spawn at once..catch one, take a picture and release her..get a replica made if you need a mount.