Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Roundies

Relayed from E-mail:

"The roundies post in warmwater forum is screaming for a mop body.

Happy Thanksgiving

richmc"

Had trouble with missed strikes with the mop stuff; even the lil ones. Found myself clipping them off so none of that... Now the sguirmmy stuff would be a great instead of the rubber legs.

IMG-5197.png

IMG-3538.jpg

The question that begs to be answered that none have mentioned is the magically way the styrofoam balls are attached to the hooks since all glues melt it!

Yes...lots of questions.

1. Tell us more about how you attach the round balls to the hooks.

2. Where do you buy the balls?

3. What size hook do you use?

The question that begs to be answered that none have mentioned is the magically way the styrofoam balls are attached to the hooks since all glues melt it!

I just assumed it was done with UV resin, since that doesn't have any solvents in it. It's not the "glue" that melts stryofoam ... it's the solvent carrier that does.

Dat Miikechell knows some chit! Correct on the UV resin, Solarez. Match the hook to the size balls. Retain hook gap so offcenter the hooks. Kinda tear the hooks thru so resin gets good connection on both. These balls are soft enough to crush so need couple of coats to make them unbreakable. Trade off is not having to carve round corks or foam which would be stronger and no need for resin. I.e. Could glue as usual.... Between coats of resin on the lil bream bugs colored with sharpies, KG lil paint dropeyes. Jazz em up anyway you want before last UV coat.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=87762&do=findComment&comment=731847

Do they sink once coated in resin or does the resin trap the air in the ball and they become super floaters??

Nice, Denduke. I've tied something similar, using round worm floats. I never had them sink, but they sat perpendicular in the water but straightened out when I started stripping them in.

I've always gotten pretty solid hits with the mop fly. From the small ones to the large ones.