Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hardyrod1974

Little clips for fly/ leader, useful?

I saw these on the J Stockard website.

Are they useful?

How big would a dry fly have to be to still float if you used one?

Or are they intended only for sub surface use?

Thank you,

Richard

post-63412-0-61201800-1543597574.jpg

I have some that I used only on wets, eventually I decided to just tie knots. The thing is that the tippet gets freshened up each time I cut it back and with the snap it wears and I might not notice the wear. It might not sink a dry but it will make them head heavy. Would probably be more useful with large tippets and big flies.

To me, they mess up the whole job of the tippet. The tippet and the knot at the tippet are supposed to turn the fly over and lay it out on the water properly at the end of your cast. You can't do that with a clip. It seems to me the clip would foul and hang the fly improperly more times than not. Other than that, to me there are few things prettier than a well tied fly attached to the leader with a well tied knot.

My father in law uses them now and again. I find they open a little too easily to hand pressure so puts me off using them to fish though I'm sure they would be fine.

They may have some uses. I could maybe see using them with streamers if you change flies often. I know someone who would slide them onto the leader above a blood knot to attach a dropper. Many fly hooks have pretty small eyes these days. Even the smallest fast snap won't fit through the eye of a lot of trout flies.

I used those on level line when I first started fly fishing years ago, decades ago actually. As soon as I went to tapered lines and tapered or stepped leaders I didn't bother anymore. You pushed them into the end of the fly line where they anchored quite well. I used straight mono as the leader as well. It was fine for small brookies in a stream or small river fishing bushy caddis flies and muddlers.

I use them below my small swivels when trolling flies or using wets (#10-4) on lakes.

Dave G. not the same thing

5421_1428_large.jpg fly-clip-snap.jpgOn Left Dave G's line connection pin, on right op's fly clip/speed snap

duolock-snap.jpgDuo Lock snap

About as light as the clip but more secure- I use for jigs & heavy streamers on occasion

There are some uses for these in freshwater - particularly for beginners... Don't even consider them for the salt - the fish there will have great fun running off with your flies (and leaders -or anything else not secured properly...).

these may be quite useful for older tyers with arthritic fingers who have a hard time tying knots

afraid of the fly coming off, use rio twist clip

500-1.jpg

CSlzoZi.jpg

using a fly line pin?

tkcHovs.jpg

add a nail knot somewhere between the two barbs to prevent the pin from backing out

UiLX1Mu.jpg

5421_1428_large.jpg fly-clip-snap.jpgOn Left Dave G's line connection pin, on right op's fly clip/speed snap

duolock-snap.jpgDuo Lock snap

About as light as the clip but more secure- I use for jigs & heavy streamers on occasion

Neither one of those are what I used as I can recollect it anyway. What I had had a slip in clip end like the one on the right but a post to stick in the end of the fly line like the one on the left.

I use them below my small swivels when trolling flies or using wets (#10-4) on lakes.

Dave G. not the same thing

Ya I see those have a loop not a spike.