Fly Tying
vicrider

Did it up big this time...

Cut and paste from another board. Took me forever to type it.
Last Tuesday we had severe weather in western OK. We had guests to use our large storm shelter if needed. My nephew is in a wheelchair and I tried to yank him over the threshold and give him a shot of speed. Got my feet tangled with his chair and went down hard. Tried to turn to break fall and only got half way. Landed 350#s on my right right hip. Felt and heard it explode inside and knew this was a bad one. Laid there trying to get my breath and wait for ambulance. My nephew is fire chief and was up at firehall studying radar to see if they had to send out spotters or set off any alarms. He heard the address on the scanner and gathered up about 3 more big guys to come get me with the ambulance. Down to the ER. Sure enough, x-ray showed Femur below the ball joint was sheered right off.

Since our hospital does little more than nosebleeds and stubbed toes I had to choose between a doctor in OK City or Amarillo or Altus. Altus was an hour close and without a doctor I was familiar with I just chose Altus. Rode a horrendoius ambulance ride down on Wednesday and doc looked things over and said to clean the cutting room for us. Went in and when I came out I had 3 pins and screw holding things together again. Hips are very bad things to break since they are the body core and now my leg is almost an inch shorter and foot splays to side. It will be at least two months before I can begin any semblance of full load bearing.

Right now I'm back in Cheyenne at our local hospital for what they call swing bed. Don't need full nursing but no chance of going home for at least 3 weeks or so. My bad knee aches, my left leg keeps going numb, then hurting like crazy, my tailbone gets so sore I want to scream like my demented neighbor in the next room in Altus. I'm trying to keep pain pills at minimum but give in sometimes and have to do it.

I did see I'm in good company today though. President Jimmy Carter fell and broke his hip and had it fixed up he's 20 years older than me. The doc informed me that 1/3 of patients over 70 who break a hip die within a year and if I don't want to be in that statistic I have serious work to do in therapy for body, lungs and weight. It's up to me if I get to fish the White again I guess.

Your cyber friend, Nick

So sorry to hear this Nick. I pray for complete healing and a speedy recovery so you can fish the white.

I've heard the quote so many times ... "No good deed goes unpunished." Always took it as a joke but, too often, it seems to prove true.

My sincere sympathies with your pain and down time. My best wishes for a speedy, low pain recovery.

Nick, this is tough news to get. Do the work, heal up and get better. Remember, 2/3 of patients don't die within 1 year! Be that side of the equation. All the best wishes your way.

Take it at your own pace but the more you move and do PT exercises on your own, the better off you'll be. Good luck to ya, hips are no joke!

So sorry to hear you're laid up and hurting, Nick, that is a rough way to go. Wishing you the speediest and most effective possible recovery.

Not to get all corny about it, but sometimes the universe sends us a not-so-subtle message that it's time to make a change. We know you're up to it and will be pulling for you.

Vicente, I’m so sorry to hear of your accident and all the pain you are going through. I will be praying for a rapid and complete recovery. Give us updates often

BB

Nick,

Very sorry to hear of this...my prayers and best wishes for a quick recovery go out to you.