Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

Easy Wings

This past Christmas my wife had some 3 inch wide mesh silver looking ribbon on some packages. I figured I might be able to use it for tying so I stashed it away. One day I made up a few bees and wanted to put wings on them, but want something that looked realistic. I went to my material tash and looked and spottd the ribbon that I had cached back. OK it would b perfect, but how to cut it an make it all even? :dunno:

Well my wife and child does some scrape-booking so I went looking. :D I found a heart shaped hole punch and tried it on paper. I then cut the heart in half and had two perfectly symetrical wing shapes. I then used the heart shaped hole punch on the ribbon, then cut the heart in half and it made made perfect looking wings. The ribbon comes in an array of colors, but I like the silvery clear looking stuff the best. The heart shaped punhes come in different sizes so you can make different size wings. Once cut out just glue the front of the wings to the thorax and your good!

Be careful, it's a slippery slope.

Some day they might find you wearing a wig and dress, sitting on the floor in asile 3 of the local craft store, mumbling something like, "Too many choices; foam, beads, ribbon, wire, paint, yarn, . . . foam, beads, ribbon, wire, paint, yarn, . . . foam, beads, ribbon, wire, paint, yarn, . . ."

Conehead

PS: Don't ask me how I know

Hi Swamp....I have found the same ribbon and it is like a stiffer organzer type material. I have used heat to shape it but like the idea of the heart cutter..................isnt is funny that fly tryers from all over the world find the same things. Maybe we all have the same warped minds set on finding new materials where ever we are.......................... :headbang: :headbang: :hyst: :hyst:

Mike................... B)

Sign in to follow this