Fly Tying

I got my vise on Sunday and have been impatiently waiting on today's mail to bring most of my tools. They just came in and I just finished my first fly. I would really appreciate some feedback and advice. Here are my questions after fly #1:

-The fishing manager at Orvis recommended that I use a Mustad O'Shaughneesy 2XH/1XL Size 2 hook. Is that what I should be tying on? I noticed that a lot of people use hooks with more of a curved shank for the Clouser. I will be fishing for largemouth and striped bass on an 8 wt. Whats your opinion?

- I definitely ended up crowding the head with the deer hair. I tried really hard not too because I have read that that is mistake most beginners make, but it really felt like I couldn't get the deer hair secure without getting more hair slid toward the eye. Any advice for this?

-My flash seems to be really floppy or saggy I don't know what to call it. It just dangles way lower than the belly hair because it isn't as rigid. Is this an issue or will that not happen in water because it will be weightless?

I tried to follow Bob's video exactly as I tied so it would be a real Clouser. I would love some feedback as Im sure yall can find much more for me to improve on (like I know the chartreuse hair is sort of tied in more to one side than the other). Please leave honest feedback (I've got tough skin) and give me any advice that you have so that I can improve.

Thanks.

post-59325-0-73064900-1466626468_thumb.jpg

post-59325-0-37337200-1466626482_thumb.jpg

post-59325-0-69647300-1466626490_thumb.jpg

post-59325-0-11175700-1466626497_thumb.jpg

Ooookaaayyy !!!
You asked for it !!!

The pupils on the lead eyes aren't perfectly symmetrical !!!

I am no professional tier, but that fly looks better than some tutorials I've seen on YouTube.

Very well tied, Zfetcko !!!

Yes, that is MUCH better than my first flies. I almost think you have been tying for a while ;)

Also its great that you followed the advice given( post pics of flies and ask for help)

One thing that I would have done is use krystal flash instead of flashabou(no biggie just personal preference)

Now get ready for the bombardment of critiques coming your way

Hold on!

Thank you. The sad things is those eyes are from Orvis. Where do most folks get there materials. We have a Bass Pro Shop close that sells some tying material, but not much else in MS. Are there any websites that you can recommend?

Also you used bucktail not deer hair. Bucktail comes from deer but its from the tail not the body of the deer

Easy to confuse them but that will become something you will learn soon

Wells that's a good start. I didn't even know there was a difference. Is Krystal Flash more rigid?

I dont know what you mean by rigid. Krystal Flash is the way the original clouser was tied on, which is your aim I believe. I like to use flashabou on larger flies like Decievers and Krystal Flash on smaller flies(learned this from one of Lefty Krehs books).

I purchase all of my eyes from white river fly shop in Bass Pro, but sometimes at the Miami Fly Shop.

MudHole has some great prices on lead eyes as well!

Good deal. Thank you. What is the fuss with lead? Tom Rosenbauer was talking about how he quit using it in one of his podcasts. I have been wanting to ask someone why that is.

That's what I am wondering. I have seen Tungsten advertised as more eco friendly and better for the environment. I wasn't sure if it was a bunch of marketing hype or what.

I get my lead eyes from allen fly fishing online. nice quality, inexpensive and they often have 20% off. I get most of my hooks from them as well. I do like my gama b10s hooks though...

I could be stating the obvious, but you do know that Mike was just busting about the eyes?

You tied a really nice Clouser as your first or tenth try. Make that angle cut on the butts of the bucktail a little more pronounced and I think that will help with that thread slide. Also a touch of wax on the thread will help with the grip if you aren't using pre-waxed thread.

Krystal flash is twisted and makes it stiffer than the flash (flashabou) you used.

clean up the eye area of hair and good tying on the rest of the fly

flashabou is a perfectly acceptable substitute if thats what you have on hand

hair is hair whether it comes from the body or a tail :)