Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

Thread use for specific types of fly?

I have primarily gone to 6/0 Uni for salt, and most warm water applications. GSP for spinning deer hair, and 8/0 Uni for insect flies size 10 or less. I personally don't tie anything smaller than size 12, as I don't have trout nearby.

I noticed Capt. Lemay mentioned larger thread for saltwater flies. Popovichs uses mono. How do you guys decide which thread to use?

i tie nymph, dry, streamer, wet flies for trout, salmon, steelhead and panfish flies and simplify my thread selection by primarily using veevus 12/0 and on occasion danvilles 6/0. i will use danvilles flat waxed nylon to help build underbodies on certain flies but thats a rare ocassion

i dont subscribe to the old notion you must use "this thread for that style of fly"

Over time I've settled on using different types of thread for different flies, simply because I've determined some work better than others. I've never seen any other reference to this or a rule.

For soft hackles, I love UTC 70 denier mostly because I can flatten the thread to build very smooth heads. For nymphs/midges, I usually use UNI 8/0 to minimize bulk. And for streamers and bass flies, it's UTC 140, Danville 3/0 or any other heavier thread I have laying around.

I use mostly UTC 70. I tend to tie smaller nymphs, dries, and midges. When tying larger bugs and streamers for bass and saltwater I will go to UTC 140.

I like the UTC because it lays flat. If I want it more rope like I can twist it.

Danville 6/0 Flymaster for almost everything. Danville 3/0 or 140 if I need a little more strength. GSP for spinning hair. Veevus or Griffiths for really small stuff.

I long ago settled on 3/0 monocord for bonefish bugs (mostly hooks in size 4, occasionally in #6, and very rarely in size 2...). For almost everything else it's the flat waxed nylon for hook sizes #2 on up to 4/0... I also will use mono instead of tying thread with re-cycled 4 lb or 6 lb line taken from ultra-light spinning rigs and spooled onto empty thread spools...

I'm always in awe of skilled freshwater tyers that use those very light threads and produce such outstanding work...

Even though I'm not tying commercially any longer I still order my threads by the box of 12 spools. I guess old habits die hard...

I go by color. Most of my threads are probably 6/0 Danville but when I wanted a color and the shop had limited selection, well..,

and I use upholstery thread for deer hair. I have several black threads and use them rather indiscriminately.

I've seen #18s tied with sewing thread catch trout.

Depends on the size of the fly I'm tying. For small flies size 16 on down I use 10/0 thread. Usually 6/0 or 8/0 for nymphs and dries for size 14 on up. For my bait fish patterns and clousers I use clear polyester thread.

I don't use fly tying thread much at all. Most of my salt water patterns are done with 2# mono, or Bulky Nylon. I use the Nylon because it can be separated easily to make dubbing loops that I can spin with my bobbin. Much easier than forming a loop of thread that I have to spin with a dubbing twister. I have about 6 spools of this Bulky Nylon in different colors, but use mostly white.

For trout flies, I use Gutermann Skala. Its strong and very fine, and its about all I use anymore.

I use the largest thread reasonable for the pattern. The larger the thread the fewer the turns.The fewer the turns the faster the tye. So for my larger trout flies (larger than, say, #10) I use 3/0. For most of my medium flies I use 6/0 Uni. For smaller flies (say #16-20) I use 8/0 Uni. For tiny flies I use 10/0 to 17/0 Uni, UTC 70, or Spider Web. But still, I use as few turns as possible.

And frequently I will use more than one thread in a pattern. Maybe a different colour for the abdomen or head; maybe extra-strong when spinning hair.

Some of my flies, I use the thread I bought at the fly shop. I liked the color. I couldn't tell you, off the top of my head, what it actually is. Size or brand.

Many of my fishing flies, I use polyester sewing thread. Again, chosen for it's color. I fill bobbin holder sized spools from the larger sewing thread spools. Not as "fine" or as "pretty" as the stuff I bought from the fly shop ... but it lasts just as long on the fly when fish are biting at it.

Pretty much a function of the size of the fly: Danville Flymaster+ for streamers > #6 or saltwater, Danville 6/0 for most bugs down to #16, Benecchi 12/0 for <= #18. Types of thread used is mostly determined by materials used, (spinning hair, foam, beads, etc.) but again size of fly is probably the more important variable.

I use UNI 6/0 thread the majority of the time. It seems to hold up the best under my stubby, rough skinned fingers. I also have a couple spools of UTC 70 & 140, but I have to get better with using it. Color is the thing for me.

:o

6/0 and 8/0 uni, 70 and 140 UTC pretty much rounds out my thread. I do use 210 UTC for really large bucktails. I find 3/0 to be two fat for clean flat looking heads.