Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

I had a fleeting genius moment

I had one of those moments where I thought why the hell haven't I thought of this before and wanted to share with others who may find it useful. Sometimes the answer to life's most perplexing problems are right under your nose.

So I bought a 2nd reel for floating line for my 8wt and tonight I went to spool it up. I'm trying to accomplish this quickly, evenly and with the proper tension without asking my wife to help. She's a good women but not all that helpful since she does not have my level of analism.

Mere moments from asking for help it dawned on me, I can use the rod wrapper!!!!!!! Huh, what, perfect!!!

I put the reel in a broken spinning rod handle that I keep around for this purpose, clamped it to the bench and slid a spool of backing on the thread tensioner of my rod wrapper followed by the fly line. It provided perfect tension. I was able to reel on the line while guiding it back and forth evenly on the reel. I'm glad I built my thread tensioner so high now. I've yet to build a rod on my wrapper so I might just start calling it a live winder.

Analism is not that bad but is seldom shared with others around us. I don't own a rod wrapper so my poor wife still has to suffer with my analism. lol Whatever it takes to get the job done.

Les

In order to get all the backing and fly line on, I've always done this outdoors, in the yard, where I have the room to pull out all the line in reverse, then wind it on in the correct order.

line swap.jpg

Tie the "fly end" of the fly line to the reel and wind it on. Tie one the backing and wind it on. Once you have the correct amount of backing on, take a walk.

With the line looped around a smooth post or tree trunk, back up until all the line is off. Untie the fly line, tie on the backing, and reel the line on. With the pinky, ring and middle fingers holding the rod a few inches ahead of the reel, you can use the thumb and forefinger to guide the line, as you reel it all back on.

Maybe the thread should have been "ways to put line on a reel" or something like that. The reel I picked up, a size three cabelas TRL, said right on the box it could take 150 yards of 20lb backing so I just spooled the entire 100 yard spool of backing on the reel. I added the fly line and the fit was right on. I can't seem to recall seeing the backing amount on any other reel box that I bought.

Sorry, Poopdeck, for hijacking your thread.

Your idea is innovative!

For putting line on a level wind reel, securing the spool in a spring loaded holder is fairly common.