Fly Tying
chugbug27

My First Bamboo Rod

So I've been tinkering at the idea of fishing bamboo, and today I found one, the stars lined up! A retired tinkerer, re-builds bamboo for a hobby, this one's a straight and undamaged 9 foot 5 weight Patterson Pacemaker that he refinished and rewrapped with the original hardware, a 3 piece where the extra tip is short but the butt, middle and one tip are equal and straight, tight ferrules, and it casts great. Can't wait to take it out maybe early July.

🤣

Isn't the rod a Phillipson Pacemaker vs Patterson?

None the less should be fun to fish.

See, I'm so excited I wrote it wrong! My hands are literally shaking with excitement

60 feet accurate in the wind, soft layout. It's not actually very hard to adjust my casting style to it. I was sure I'd have more trouble

I can understand your excitement.

It sound like a beaut, you will have to show us some pics.

For those of you who either can't wait for a bamboo rod or, just want a slower graphite - check out Bass Pro's 270 rods.

These are a blast to cast, slower action, and cost around $150! Pair the rod up with a limp line (like the Courtland 444 Peach) and you will have a very relaxing fishing combo.

I have 2 bamboo rods. I love to fish them in windy conditions. Something about the extra heft of bamboo compared to graphite that will have you fishing long after the graphite guys have given up.

Nice rod Chug. Couple tips for ya since this is your first boo rod. Before you put it together to fish for the day take the male ferule and wipe some oil from your nose on it. No I'm not kidding either, that's an ol'timers trick and it helps to keep the metal ferules from sticking together at the end of the day. Also when you store the rod for long periods (over winter etc etc) they are best stored in the sock laying down flat rather than in a rod rack or vertical. Standing in a rack or vertical stored for long periods can actually start to put a set in the tip sections so that's why laying flat is best for long periods of time.

Just a couple things to help ya get the longest life out of it.

Nice rod Chug. Couple tips for ya since this is your first boo rod. Before you put it together to fish for the day take the male ferule and wipe some oil from your nose on it. No I'm not kidding either, that's an ol'timers trick and it helps to keep the metal ferules from sticking together at the end of the day.

The salt from your nose will quickly corrode the ferrules; most people knowledgeable about cane view doing this as a no no. Use soap instead.

Always wiped the ferrule on the side of my nose. Never even thought about the salt.

What about parrafin? Always have some of that with me when I have one of my St.Croix rods along for the ride.

Nice rod Chug. Couple tips for ya since this is your first boo rod. Before you put it together to fish for the day take the male ferule and wipe some oil from your nose on it. No I'm not kidding either, that's an ol'timers trick and it helps to keep the metal ferules from sticking together at the end of the day.

The salt from your nose will quickly corrode the ferrules; most people knowledgeable about cane view doing this as a no no. Use soap instead.

Never have seen anyone have any corrosion issues with doing that. I learned it from a fishing buddy that has been a cane rod maker for over 30 yrs so I'd think if it caused corrosion it would have happened to his rods which it never has. I always did it with my cane as well and never had issues. Not saying it "can't" happen I guess, anything is possible, but I have never seen it happen to mine or his rods at all. If you're really concerned about it then simply wipe the ferule at the end of the day after taking it apart.