Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Curing the Droop

I received some intruders and a couple have the hooks attached via a braid of some sort. When wet this braid became very flexible and the hook hangs below the fly like

post-42518-0-67616700-1391613373_thumb.jpg

The fish hitting the fly are not getting the hook.

Now is the droopy hook a feature of intruders? If it is maybe they are not for the flows I fish???

On the one fly I cut the braid back to the loop on the shank and now want some ideas for reconnecting a hook. I thought about crimping a new length of stiff wire on and crimping the hook on that?

The ones which I haven't cut the loop off, any ideas for giving it some stiffness? I wondered about UV resin but dont want to reduce the breaking strain by making it brittle?

You might try a few coats of flexible cement. That should stiffen it up some with out compromising the flexability.

Yup droop is undesireable, i switched from fireline to senyo intruder wire, with this material you will never experience droop and may increase the longevity of your patterns. Another people use is beading wire from the craft store, now i have not tested it yet but heard good things, just check the breaking strain is right for your situation.

http://flymenfishingcompany.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/SenyoIntruderWire.jpg

Thats great on new patterns Mike, I use the beadalon already but this is trying to rescue the flies I already have. Actual fly is lovely and the fish obviously think so too. I might try a split ring on the shank loop and just a tiny treble hung of it so its tight up against the fly like a crank bait.

Damn yeah sometimes you just have that one pattern that swims like a champ, i am stumped tho, if it were me i might try some ccg hydro on the connecting material, or just tie another!

Well someone could tie me another few if they fancied wink.png

I'll try the UV and see how it goes. Dont think it should affect the B/S too much.

If there is a metal loop at the rear of the shank, you might be able to rig them somewhat like a tube fly. Run the leader through the eye, then along one side of the fly and through a piece of flexible tubing to a hook. Slip the flexible tubing onto the rear loop of the shank.