Fly Tying
cheech

UV Resin Shootout

Ok... I know that this topic has recently been beat to death in other threads, but Curtis and I are going to do a study similar to the hackle study that we did last year (http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/09/hackle-comparisons.html). We are going to strive to get the closest thing to an apples to apples comparison on these UV resins to pick out the strengths and weaknesses of each one based on a wide range of tests. I don't think there will be an overall winner, just some tests to show which resins perform best in certain categories.

1- What categories should we test? We have a good idea of what we think... But maybe we are missing some. Keep in mind, that we are not going to go into super scientific mumbo jumbo on this one. We are looking at it as an end consumer with a limited knowledge of chemistry and black magic. Just normal guys who open a bottle and expect their product to work.

2- What brands should we test? Currently we have the following:

Solarez (all varieties)

Tuffleye (all varieties)

Bug Bond (all varieties)

Deer Creek (all varieties)

Super Glue UV windshield repair

CCG (all varieties)

Loon (all varieties)

Silver Creek (all varieties)

El cheapo Ebay Stuff (the kind that caused many a lively debate)

Muchas Thanks!!

Cheech

Cheech,

Thanks for doing this. You have more resins listed than I knew existed.

J-Kno

Excellent plan Cheech. I thoroughly enjoyed the Hackle Shoot Out and send folks to that link on a regular basis. Looking forward to it.

J

I'm partial to Solarez Thin, but which ever ones you decide, keep the batteries fresh and the distance to the light consistent. In my experience it makes a big difference.

Are you going to use the light the mfg suggests or use the same light on all the resins?

I just watched the new tightlinevideo tying video and he uses one that I hadn't seen before - Bondic. The resin and light are all in one device. Pretty convenient and less than $25 and that includes a replacement light. Maybe one to test, too.

Joe

Latest thing I've recently become aware of is UV cured gel top-coating for fingernails. Manicurists use it, and now you can get it at Sally's stores. I got a bottle to try out but haven't used it yet. They have gel topcoating that doesn't use UV, and others that do.

I just watched the new tightlinevideo tying video and he uses one that I hadn't seen before - Bondic. The resin and light are all in one device. Pretty convenient and less than $25 and that includes a replacement light. Maybe one to test, too.

Joe

That is on the way now too. Curtis showed me that today.

to save time and effort maybe just testing "regular" version of each brand might be best

I would eliminate the windshield and tufflye

there are some good results of testing by kirk dietrick

http://onthevise.com/blog/10-clear-coat-durability-test-poppers

Regardless of what has been done in the past, we want to be able to test them all at the same time. We have time and we have effort. I really liked Kirk's work.

Latest thing I've recently become aware of is UV cured gel top-coating for fingernails. Manicurists use it, and now you can get it at Sally's stores. I got a bottle to try out but haven't used it yet. They have gel topcoating that doesn't use UV, and others that do.

I think I'll head down to Wal Mart tomorrow and pick up a kit. Just for giggles.

I'm partial to Solarez Thin, but which ever ones you decide, keep the batteries fresh and the distance to the light consistent. In my experience it makes a big difference.

Are you going to use the light the mfg suggests or use the same light on all the resins?

We have a wide variety of lights. We will make sure we are using them to the specific recommendations.

Just normal guys who open a bottle and expect their product to work.

I guess this will bring up the question of what is a normal person expecting when they open up a bottle of UV resin? Is it expected to out perform 5 min epoxy? 30 min epoxy? What did UV resins originally replace for fly tiers? I have not been tying for long so I assume it is replacing epoxy? I am looking forward to the results!

I guess this will bring up the question of what is a normal person expecting when they open up a bottle of UV resin? Is it expected to out perform 5 min epoxy? 30 min epoxy? What did UV resins originally replace for fly tiers? I have not been tying for long so I assume it is replacing epoxy? I am looking forward to the results!

For the price, I expect it to crawl out of the bottle, apply itself correctly and cure itself. I'll still be wrapping the thread, but it might even help me to hold materials in place correctly.

Not a replacement for 5 minute epoxy. Five min epoxy requires mixing of two separate chemicals, UV doesn't. It dries in a few seconds with a UV light whereas 5 min epoxy is thin and runs and isn't so immediate. The stuff stinks, so does epoxy but not as bad. And 5min epoxy doesn't allow you to build up a head or a body like UV does. A guy in my club found a bunch of the stuff at a Good Will store (chemically, not brand name for fly tying, but the same stuff) and brought it in little bottles at our last meeting and for a couple of bucks donation to PHW did a good business. I bought two bottles of it. I haven't tried it yet, don't use the stuff in my kit very much at all. I think all the Bergman wet-fly patterns have that shiny head that's either UV or many coats of clear lacquer.