Fly Tying
day5

Fly or Lure?

fly or lure  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I told the guy that I bet it would take more trout than any streamers he can think of. There is a reason spinners work!!!

A flyfishers spinner bait. The British call streamers "lures", midges are "buzzers", and the second floor the "first floor".... I bet it catches fish, so who cares.... Good luck!

Tom

Lure-anything that attracts, entices, or allures.

Yes it is a beefed up fly but Flies are lures also. It is a fly because it was tied as a traditional fly from what I can tell, but at the same time it is also a lure because it was created to "Lure or entice" the fish.

I chose trout snobs would never understand. I tie to catch fish not to show and tell and I am not just strictly fly fishing or tying I also tie jigs, spinner baits, buzz baits, and pour a few plastics. I'm in it for the fish not arts and crafts. However there is nothing more rewarding than tying your own and the fish bite on it.

Very nicely done tie you have there day5 it'll fish well. :thumbup:

I'm no trout snob but hell I don't understand :hyst: if your feelings got hurt that surprises me but my gut says your just posting this just to provide an outlet for everyones opinions its ok little buddy I got your back and for a dozen of them there lures I will send the ninjas after that guy :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :boxing: :boxing:

Gee...I don't know, Matt. Though there is an article in the latest issue of

FT that you might want to check out on how to make a spoon "fly" out of

Silly Putty.

If you want to call it a fly, buddy...you call it a fly. I'm sure Paul

will be happy to whip anyone who says otherwise :P

Mike

i totally agree with mike on this one this call it what you will and stick too it and send me about 4 of those i have a gar hangin around my place and keeps stealin my spinner baits i wanna catch him on my fly rod thats gonna be a nice fight.

Ya you know me Paul! booo hoooo LOL!!!! " but its not a classic and it has a blade .....gasp is that a JIG hook! " ......... LOL!!!

RRSS - send out the ninjas!!!

I believe with most. I think a fly by definition is a lure. But, for me, I tend to call anything I know was tied a fly, and anything that was made some other way a lure.

what about an ice fishing jig? Not what I would have considered a fly 20 years ago, but now knowing that it is tied, maybe it is, but maybe it isn't.

actually....call it whatever the CUSTOMER calls it, but price it higher:

Day5 Lure - $5

Day5 Fly - $4

RRSS - send out the ninjas!!!

I believe with most. I think a fly by definition is a lure. But, for me, I tend to call anything I know was tied a fly, and anything that was made some other way a lure.

what about an ice fishing jig? Not what I would have considered a fly 20 years ago, but now knowing that it is tied, maybe it is, but maybe it isn't.

actually....call it whatever the CUSTOMER calls it, but price it higher:

Day5 Lure - $5

Day5 Fly - $4

Mike thats funny! I was in out local Big Box Tackle a few weeks ago looking for some plano boxes. and I happened to walk by the rapalas......20.00$ each!!!!!!!!!! What The Frick? 20 dollars for a rapala???????

Matt my biggest battle has been to get these socalled realistic tyers from Europe and elsewhere to use a hook and thread instead of resin and glue. Your fly has a hook and I know you tied it. If you can cast it with your fly rod purist be damed , it's a fly.

Fred

P.S. spinners are great strike triggers.

If it don't land on a hamburger at a BBQ, then it ain't a fly. If it can be cast with a flyrod, it is a flyrod lure - if it ain't live bait, its a lure. The problem comes in where some time ago, people casting insect imitating lures on a flyrod began calling them flies.

If it can be cast with a flyrod, its a fly to me including my spoon and foam swimbait.

I've had people not want to use my Spoon Fly because it wasn't a fly until their buddy on the boat caught one fish after another.

Kirk