Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

Utah Killer Bug

The last time I posted a video to the original Utah Killer Bug, there was LOTS of discussion because of it being a spin-off of Frank Sawyer's famous pattern. I'm sure this one won't cause quite as much, but I wanted to share the modern version of the Utah Killer Bug that I fish.

Enjoy, and I'd love to hear your variations!

Tim

Just watched the video for the 3rd time. Definitely a quick and simple tie. Perfect for some tying classes I teach.

But best of all, it looks like it will catch a kreel full of fish. I like it.

The problem will be finding a jig hook that size where I live. But I don't see way a 2x long nymph hook wouldn't work by bending the shank.

Just watched the video for the 3rd time. Definitely a quick and simple tie. Perfect for some tying classes I teach.

But best of all, it looks like it will catch a kreel full of fish. I like it.

The problem will be finding a jig hook that size where I live. But I don't see way a 2x long nymph hook wouldn't work by bending the shank.

Frank tied his Killer Bug with no thread just wire and wool, simplest fly ever. I've seen similar with bead on nymph hook instead of jig. He did not tie it for trout either it was his weapon against grayling in his beat of river Avon. His was meant to look like a fresh water shrimp. Frank used the wire to build up the body shape and add weight just as he did in his no thread pheasant tail. Davie McPhail has videos of both that are fairly good.

tctrout, guess I didn't see your other presentation. What got folks fired up? I see lots of PTN flies that copied or adapted Sawyer's most famous fly. And not very well, imo.